A majestic building

**Added***
The Star Penang section happened to feature this building. More info here:

This used to be the Dato Keramat Tin Smelting company. However, one of the largest project called The Penang Times Square is going on and this building has been given a facelift.

It is painted white and looks so majestic.

birch

If I remember correctly, it is the Brooke or is it Birch House? Sorry, I can’t verify. So, someone please tell me. If I remember correctly, James Brooke is the guy who brought rubber trees?

birch2

9 thoughts on “A majestic building

boo_licious

(July 28, 2005 - 4:47 pm)

Is this the building where they have a restaurant called 32?

domesticgoddess

(July 28, 2005 - 5:56 pm)

It’s called the Birch House.

boo_licous : no, this is not the The Mansion 32. The Mansion 32 is somewhere before you reach E&O hotel. It’s kind of diagonally opposite the Toyota showroom.

CJ

(July 28, 2005 - 6:38 pm)

The Brookes were the rulers of Sarawak. Finally some usefulness to my years of history classes…

nicktay

(July 28, 2005 - 7:26 pm)

Wah…u take amazing pictures! I am honoured that you check mine out! 🙂

reallybites

(July 28, 2005 - 7:33 pm)

eh it looks like the dewan bandaraya lor.

Administrator

(July 28, 2005 - 10:24 pm)

Noleh, it is in Dato Keramat but off the small road. Last time all the colonial buildings like this. Thanks to the British Settlement we got these beautiful buildings.

Nick – Hey, thanks for popping by.

domesticgoddess – Why ha you call yourself domestic? Cannot understand leh. You WM mah.

CJ – Hahaha, give you 70 puluh markah.

boo – Have you been to 32 Mansion (next to E&O hotel)? I haven’t eaten there but been inside for Christmas carolling last Christmas. Fuwah, very class and very romantic so not the kind of place I can go. I heard the food is expensive, not sure true or not. (by Penang standard la). It is a different location but we have many such buildings on the island.

domesticgoddess

(July 28, 2005 - 11:06 pm)

heheh… WM also can be domestic goddess mah… anyway i picked the name cause it sounds vain enough LOL!

Kervin

(July 29, 2005 - 1:54 pm)

Birch was the resident of Perak killed by locals at Pasir Salak, H.N.Ridley was the one to bring over rubber seeds from Kew Gardens to Singapore and later to Malaysia. The first rubber tree is incidentally planted in front of his abode.

Kervin

(July 29, 2005 - 1:56 pm)

James Brooke was the white rajah ruling over Sarawak suceeded later by Charles Brooke and lastly Vyner Brooke.