Papad, papadum

PICT0612

A basket of papad or commonly refers as papadum in Malaysia is always welcome. Whether to accompany a nice, curry rice or as snack.

I was in the mood for frying yesterday and fried all the three kinds of papadum I have. Huge ones which I bought from an Indian shop. It is called the Punjabi Masala papad. It is filled with lots of spices like chili flakes, black pepper and others which I cannot identify.

Then, there are medium size one without spices and the small one without only some fennel, I think.

PICT0610

Normally, I will test out each brand and stick to the one which is least salty. Try drying them under the sun before frying to ensure a bigger and crispier papadum when fried.

Though it is easy to fry papadum, the trick is to get the right oil temperature or else it will burnt when too hot. And if the oil is not hot enough, the papadum will be clogged with oil.

As I find papadum to be much healthier than junk food, I usually fry a big batch and store them for my children’s snacks.

9 thoughts on “Papad, papadum

boo_licious

(August 11, 2005 - 11:57 am)

I just had some last night with my banana leaf rice, yum!

The spiced ones look interesting. Must go look for those in the shop.

babe_kl

(August 11, 2005 - 12:03 pm)

adoiii must cut down on fried stuff for poor people in KL 🙁

Administrator

(August 11, 2005 - 12:08 pm)

babe – Hahah, ok, I go find some thong sui recipe.

boo – The big one is really huge, the size of a saucer before frying.

Athene

(August 11, 2005 - 11:01 pm)

try microwaving the papadum. berapa lama? agak2 lah… try 30 seconds, if it’s puffed up, then stop, if not try longer. you won’t believe the taste, way better than fried ones. you can taste all the spices! frying actually kills some of the flavor & spiciness. all the flavor & crunch without the fats and calories!

works for any keropok too…

note: don’t give those with spices to your kids though —> microwave tend to make it too spicy.

mumsgather

(August 12, 2005 - 2:14 pm)

I MUST have papadums with my Indian banana leaf rice.

BTW Athene, can fry papadums and keropok in microwave? I’ve never heard of it before. I wish to try. No need to put oil? Just put them on a plate? Must cover? Please share. Thanks.

Athene

(August 14, 2005 - 1:11 am)

mumsgather, yup you can cook the papadum without a drop of oil in the microwave! put them on the carousel or any plate and just nuke, it’ll cook from the center, just keep your eyes on it until it’s all puffed up. no need to coverlah… you won’t be able too see it cook. try it with same simple tomato salsa – dice tomato, onion & cilantro, mix with olive/vegetable oil, salt, lime juice & freshly ground black pepper/ cumin. for extra kick add some diced seeded green chili.

mumsgather

(August 15, 2005 - 3:05 pm)

Wow! Thanks a lot Athene for the great tips! And thank you Lilian for posting this in the first place 🙂

Athene

(August 15, 2005 - 11:37 pm)

mumsgather, do tell when you’ve tried it.

Administrator

(August 16, 2005 - 2:42 am)

Actually….I knew about this but I am too lazy to stand by the microwave! It takes a longer time to get them puff up, opening and closing doors. Cos my kids ate like locusts so I have no time. But it is really a great way to cook keropok and papadum, very healthy too.