Symbols of Deepavali and Hari Raya

DEEPAVALI

kolam

Here are some photos I snapped these few days. The above is a kolam made of coloured rice grains.

Kolam is an auspicious art of decorating courtyards and pooja rooms/prayer halls in South India drawn mainly by women and girls. Some women use rice flour to draw a kolam, which is the traditional medium to be used while others use sandstone or limestone powder.

Generally, a kolam is drawn with bare fingers using predetermined dots. The dots are either connected together to make a pattern or loops are drawn encircling the dots to complete a design

Source

HARI RAYA

lemang

This is the lemang, a speciality for Hari Raya. Rows and rows of these stalls were located along the Karak Highway. A tube is sold at RM5. It is yummy delicious rice cooked with coconut milk, wrapped with banana leaves and slowly bake over charcoal or wood fire in a bamboo tube.

lemang2

Lemang is best serve with serunding or rendang. I believe all our Muslim friends are eating lemang right now?

6 thoughts on “Symbols of Deepavali and Hari Raya

Amber Amethryne

(November 4, 2005 - 1:03 am)

Had my lemang and serunding. Am not a fan of rendang. My dad and I drove around our hometown (somewhere up north) for lemang and didn’t get to buy any – they were either sold out or not ready yet. The sellers refused to accept orders (silly, right?) and told us to return in 3 hours. We did and the lemang were still not ready and told to wait for another 1 hour. I was like, hell, I wasn’t going to wait anymore. Luckily, my mum’s friend gave her 1 tube of lemang. That was enough for me as I wanted a bit or two only (can’t have lots of lemang and ketupat pulut, make me drowsy).

Amber Amethryne

(November 4, 2005 - 1:04 am)

Had my lemang and serunding. Am not a fan of rendang. My dad and I drove around our hometown (somewhere up north) for lemang and didn’t get to buy any – they were either sold out or not ready yet. The sellers refused to accept orders (silly, right?) and told us to return in 3 hours. We did and the lemang were still not ready and were told to wait for another 1 hour. I was like, hell, I wasn’t going to wait anymore. Luckily, my mum’s friend gave her 1 tube of lemang. That was enough for me as I wanted a bit or two only (can’t have lots of lemang and ketupat pulut, make me drowsy).

Wuching

(November 4, 2005 - 8:35 am)

lemang looks delicious, i still remember when i was back in malaysia my friends & i cooked some chicken pieces with mushrooms in soup inside the bamboos over hot coal..it was magnificent!

Administrator

(November 4, 2005 - 8:36 pm)

Wuching – That sounds like Boys Scouts cooking!

Amber – I think up north people don’t make lemang as good as the down south ones. Last time when I was in Tampin, I ate the bestest ever!

Amber Amethryne

(November 5, 2005 - 2:57 am)

My uncle claimed that Terengganu lemang is the best. I still think my mum’s homecooked lemang is best, but she refused to make any this year as she had enough of baking and cooking. She made 9 different types of biscuits, 10 types of cakes and caramel custard for own consumption, sales as well as give-aways to relatives!

Hasmukh patel

(August 11, 2006 - 8:30 pm)

TO:

Dear Sir,

SUB: INTRODUCTION AS A MANUFACTURER OF RICE GRIT/FLOUR.

This is to introduce that we are based in Gujarat where rice is grown in plenty besides rice growing in the neighbourhood states making our region as a centre place for rice availability all the time.

We are a group company having manufacturing facility At. RAJODA, BAVLA, on the Rajkot highway which is 20 km away from Ahmedabad, in Gujarat India. We are very well established in the process of PARBOILED RICE with good MILLING facility and SORTEX system to get best graded rice. This is mainly going for exports, besides we are catering to domestic market too. Our product reach from North western part of India to Southern tip of India.

Today, we are mainly selling to main merchants, distributors to cater the goods to the retailers and consumers. Similarly, we are also producing the following value added products for exclusive applications:

1. IDLI RAVA
    2. DOSA RAVA / FLOUR
    3. PURE WHITE PARBOILED RICE
    4. BASMATI PARBOILED RICE
    5. RICE GRIT
    6. POWDER FOR PUDDING, BREAD, NOODLES/VERMISELLE, SNACK FOODS ETC.,
    7. RICEFLOUR FOR DISTILLERY etc.,

Having said this, we wish to associate with you and for your requirement you may get in touch with us soon with your desired specifications which can be made as tailor made product in your required packing standards. You may feel free to contact us for more information.

Thanking you,
    Yours truly,

RNR KSHERSAGAR
    AMBICA FOOD PRIVATE LTD.
    202, shantam complax, Gurukul road, Ahmedabad.
    Pl Send Your Company Address, Tel No. , Fax No.& E-mail id