The making of a sandwich

You know life has been slow when I bring a boring sandwich as a topic. Lately, I am busy with some Nano-thingie and have not stumble on any great eat.

So, let’s look at sandwich making process! Tadaaa…

bread

Well, to get good and impressive sandwiches, one got to cut off the edges of the bread. It does seem like a waste to me and therefore, most of our sandwiches are , slap ham into two slices of bread and serve. But if I take time to prepare them extra nice, my kids can easily finish a whole loaf of bread in one sitting.

Regular breads like those Gardenia brand doesn’t taste as good in sandwiches. Get from bigger bakeries the bread meant for making sandwiches as these breads are firmer and of the right size. My favourite is the Four Leaves from Gama Supermarket in Penang. They have varied thickness of bread, from 8 slices to 4 slices. (8 is thinner, 4 is very thick)

knife

A bread knife is one of the essential item in the kitchen. The picture above is a bread knife which is specially made for cutting breads and cakes.

mayo

You can spread your bread with some stuffs to make it smoother. Mayo, mustard, butter, margerine, tomato sauce, marmite, cheese spread…just to name a few. I like the squeeze bottle of Ladies Choice mayonnaise because it is so easy for my children to handle.

ham

Fillings. Just a slice of chicken ham and your sandwich is perfect. Good stuffs for sandwiches includes canned tuna (chili tuna is best), sardine, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, some sambal dried prawns, cheese slices, pepperoni, salami, let your imagination roam. Add vegetables but usually, I skip them because my kids will probably pull out everything. Moreover, I found bits of tomatoes rather messy in eating sandwiches. Prefer to make a side salad.

The final touch is to cut the sandwiches into uniform sizes. Rectangular, triangular, squares…..Too bad my sandwiches ended up in my kids’ stomach before I got a chance to snap a photo.

What’s your favourite sandwiches fillings?

Related read : Recipe for egg sandwich.

12 thoughts on “The making of a sandwich

babe_kl

(November 11, 2005 - 2:56 pm)

peanut butter wid banana toasties!!! yum yum

haha

(November 11, 2005 - 2:57 pm)

ur children must b fat like u

Administrator

(November 11, 2005 - 3:24 pm)

haha – too bad wor, I am not fat and neither are my kids. Sorry to disappoint you. May you puke and purge yourself silly for the wrong guess!

babe – Toasties! That’s another interesting topic.

Denise

(November 11, 2005 - 4:36 pm)

Peanut butter, nutella, banana…yum…without nutella oso YUM hehe

susie_q

(November 11, 2005 - 5:12 pm)

give me my chilli tuna with melted cheddar cheese…toasted in a sandwich maker…..
    sigh….

fennel

(November 11, 2005 - 5:33 pm)

hi hi
    for me, i’m very lazy, sometimes, just bread with chili sauce!!! yum yum, the hotter the better !!

q

(November 11, 2005 - 10:41 pm)

i like to tast them too. my current favourite is spreading each with slice with butter, piling up some carik-carik roasted chicken on one slice, a slice of cheese on top of that, then spreading that cranberry(?) jam you can get from ikea on the cheese. close with the other slice and toast. yummy!

if that combinations sounds a little weird well… 😉

romantic

(November 12, 2005 - 8:20 am)

grilled eggplant, onion and red pepper with a slice of grilled chicken 🙂

soohk

(November 12, 2005 - 5:22 pm)

Need to spread mayo in certain like you or not…hahaha or with a smiley face..

Wu Ching

(November 13, 2005 - 7:43 am)

lilian, i have sandwich for lunch almost every workday so a post on making sandwiches is definitely not boring for me but maybe i’m boring!

boo_licious

(November 14, 2005 - 7:07 pm)

I love toasties – banana and cinnamon. My fav bread comes all the way from Penang, the Adventist ones which has no flour.

Administrator

(November 16, 2005 - 1:02 am)

boo_licious – Yes! I love that. They are on sale at Cold Storage now, so much more convenient. In fact, I bought and store half in the freezer and take them whenever I feel like eating bread.

WuChing – Oh, I can’t live without rice and curry!

soo – It was meant to look like 5! No la, I just put it for photography.

romantic – That sounds like a very delicious meal on its own.

q – That’s a unique taste.

fennel – Chili sauce? Ohhh…that’s new to me.

susie_q – Yeah, chili tuna is very versatile and appetising.

denise – So many people use banana. I must try this one day. I had never tried banana toasties before. Hmm…I might do a toastie post soon.

Thanks for all the great idea.