Nuts and Chee Cheong Fun from Teluk Intan

STEAMED GROUNDNUTS

There were several stalls selling steam groundnuts in Teluk Intan. I am not sure if Teluk Intan is famous for them or what but when I see rows of stalls selling the same stuff, I couldn’t resist getting some. Kinda tourist mentality, isn’t it? Whatever is sold, must buy.

nuts

Nice, large groundnuts. RM5 for 1 kilogramme. The nuts were fresh but not soft and salty enough.

TELUK INTAN CHEE CHEONG FUN

I know Teluk Intan is famous for it’s chee cheong fun and went hunting for a stall around the town.

cheecheongfun

I do not know where to find the best stall so any old stall will do. It was the first day of Hari Raya and the whole town is practically ‘sleeping’. Finally, found one behind a Chinese temple. What I like about Teluk Intan Chee Cheong Fun is it’s simplicity. I can’t figure out what are those brown bits but I heard they are preserved cabbages. The chee cheong fun has no sauce unlike those stinky ones in Penang or the Ipoh kind with soya sauce.

Teluk Intan Chee Cheong Fun only has some preserved green chillies to accompany this plain, simple taste steamed rice noodles.

Anyone can give me some leads where to find the best chee cheong fun, Teluk Intan style?

12 thoughts on “Nuts and Chee Cheong Fun from Teluk Intan

mahagurusia

(November 14, 2005 - 3:45 pm)

CheeChongfan is one of my all time favorite. I would kill for one rite now!! haha

p/s I will give Penang al-stinko prawn paste sauce a 2 thumbs up! slurppp

boo_licious

(November 14, 2005 - 7:03 pm)

I’ve eaten the Teluk Intan version in KL before and it’s yummy. Love the stinky prawn paste one too.

Gracie

(November 14, 2005 - 10:25 pm)

Teluk Intan is my hometown. I will tell you where is the best and originator of this CCF. It is one of the stalls along the street that is beside the chinese temple. Generally regarded as part of the old market. It should have a generous amount of dried prawns and “choy poh” and to be taken just with prickled green chillies, – no sauce except maybe soya sauce. Beside, this CCF stall, the next stall sells steamed gultinous rice with char siew – very simple, just gultinous rice and a piece of char siew and it is very popular and nice. Maybe now, they may have had other accompaniments. ( I do not stay there now)

Administrator

(November 15, 2005 - 12:34 am)

Gracie – Hey, thanks for the lead. If I go to Teluk Intan again next time, I sure will look out for it. The temple is very nice, just next to the river ya? I will blog it later.

boo – Really, they have it KL? I ate it in Genting and it costs a bomb!

mahagurusia – I courier some to you, want ah? LOL.

yingci

(November 15, 2005 - 3:40 am)

Eh auntie, my hometown is half n hr away fr TI leh 😛 Nice chee cheong fun gotta go at night. The place is quite run-down but chee cheong fun there is superb! It’s near a temple *i think* and also near a huge garbage centre. Come down again next time and if I’m back I’ll definitely bring you there! 🙂 Oh and also – come to my hometown (sabak bernam)for seafood!!!!!! *i m drooling now… sobssssss*

mahagurusia

(November 15, 2005 - 10:39 am)

courier? can can! Will be glad to recieve them! 🙂

btw it have been done before lol But aeroplane will be stinko and the delivery truck and postman’s clothing have to be washed numerous time! kekeke

jazzmint

(November 22, 2005 - 10:11 pm)

hehe there’s one in kepong, KL..if u happen to come to KL, do look for it in kepong baru morning market.

Irene

(February 24, 2006 - 5:04 pm)

My friends and I, all from Singapore, would be visiting Teluk Intan before heading for Brinchang, Cameron Highlands. I find your contributions to this site very helpful and interesting. Would anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from TI to Brinchang, CH?

Thank you.

Administrator

(February 24, 2006 - 6:48 pm)

Irene – I am not too sure how many hours exactly but I can tell you that it is very near. There are two ways, one is to use the old Tapah road. The other is the new Simpang Pulai way. Do use the Simpang Pulai one ‘cos it is really scenic minus the puking curves of old Tapah Road. I had written something in my Penang Faces blog too. Do check out the links?

Irene

(April 28, 2006 - 12:32 pm)

Hello everyone

Last month, my friends and I drove to Teluk Intan, Cameron Highlands and Kuala Lumpur. We have had a great time. Thanks to your contributions of ideas.

This weekend, we are driving to Segamat. I would like to attend mass in a catholic church, but do not know of any. Can anyone help? It would be useful to know where we should stay and eat. I appreciate your recommendations.

Thank you.

Irene

ANTHONY AUGUSTUS

(August 7, 2006 - 5:09 am)

Hello Everybody,
    A brief introduction about myself. I am settled in France but I was actually born in Teluk intan. I lived in Ratanui Estate where my father was Asst. Manager of the estate and I believe it is no longer there. I left Teluk intan when I was 12 years and I want to visit Teluk intan. I am trying to find friends who can help me to discover Teluk intan with my family. It is an imotional trip with fond memories of this lovely place. I would appreciate if anyone can help me. My mail augustusanthony@free.fr
    With Best Wishes
    AUGUSTUS

Irene

(August 13, 2006 - 1:56 pm)

I would be visiting Muar next month. Didn’t get to eat good otah when I was there in June. It would be nice to read about your recommendations.

Thank you.