Hindu god procession

What I like about Malaysia is the diverse culture. This is part of the Chinatown, along Kimberly Street where the whole road is beautifully decorated with red lanterns. Kimberly Street has a bustling morning wet market which stretch right up to the Chowrasta Market.

kimberley

I was passing by and was very excited to stumble on some procession heading my way. The foreground of the above photo is an old Chinese man who is a trishaw rider. I immediately gave my order of, “Stop, stop, stop” to my poor hubby, grab my camera and ran down from the car.

hindu2

I am not sure which Hindu god this is. I asked an Indian man who was directing traffic and only managed to learnt that these devotees have fasted for two months and the deity on the chariot only comes out on parade once a year. These devotees are garbed in black and have a heavy sack on their heads.

hindu

Incidentally, today, I notice that most Hindu homes have two sugar canes tied to their main door. Sugar canes vendors are doing brisk business nearby. BTW, today is the 15th day of the last moon in the Chinese lunar calendar. Which means, the next new cycle of new moon will be Chinese New Year.

hindu3

The colourful decorated chariot led by two cows.

cows

A closer shot of the cows. At times like this, I really prefer a point and shoot camera with fantastic zoom up to 300mm like my Minolta Z3 (which is still in the shop for repair). My Dynax 5D only afforded up to 70mm. I won’t dare to step too close to the main action for fear of getting chased by the cows. LOL.

In summary, my morning outing was meant to shop for Chinese New Year stuffs but the crowds drove me back home. I will do that on weekdays instead. But still, it has been fun to stumble on a colourful procession like the above and share them online.

Large photos are available on my Flickr site. Just click on the photo and it will lead you to Flickr. If you are interested in Hindu deities procession, you may also want to read more about Thaipusam. An archive of my previous posts on Thaipusam can be found here.

6 thoughts on “Hindu god procession

Wu Ching

(January 14, 2006 - 2:07 pm)

both posts u just posted recently r about cows! moo!

Administrator

(January 14, 2006 - 2:14 pm)

WuChing – I have a funny feelings that the white cow is the same cow. The one on my personal blog was taken months ago. That cow was used for the chariot procession and live near a temple. And this morning, the white cow also looks the same to me. Hahaha, you go compare and see?

Athene

(January 15, 2006 - 2:11 am)

lilian,

it’s indian (or is it hindu) new year la… better known as pongal, usually celebrated by cooking a kind of sweet rice porridge to be shared with the neighbors. they also put up the sugarcane at the door during this festival. am not sure about the parade though… nanti esok i tanya my indian neighbor.

Rathi

(January 19, 2006 - 9:33 am)

Hi! I am actually a lurker here.
    The Hindu procession was for a deity called ‘Ayyappan’. They fast and actually most people who do this go to India to perform the prayers at a particular temple in Kerala. And they have to walk through jungles and it takes a few days for them to reach the temple itself. But these days, its done in local temples as well.
    The bundle on their heads contain rice and ghee as offering to the God.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Administrator

(January 19, 2006 - 2:14 pm)

Hi Rathi – Thanks a lot for enlightening me about this. So this not related to ponggal? I am dead curious what was on their head ‘cos they look heavy and you answered that! I even took the photo of the chariots at night! Hahaha, can’t help it ‘cos I met the same chariot at night near Penang Waterfall Garden.

Athene – I am glad we have Rathi to tell us about this. Good to learn something new.

Rathi

(January 20, 2006 - 10:36 am)

Nah it has nothing to do with Ponggal. Just that the dates happened to coincide.
    Ponggal is a harvest festival that is celebrated by Indian people of all religions. Something to do with thanking the Sun for providing sunlight which makes all the padi grow a.k.a food.
    The sweet rice is made using rice from the first harvest of the year and offered to the Sun…

Glad to be of assistance in clarifying a few doubts!
    Have a good one!

Our tamil new year comes around April.