Skateboarding in Malaysia

This is one of those sports that not many parents will allow their children to indulge in. However, I find them very good for boys to gain their confidence. It takes guts to be able to do all those tricks.

In Malaysia, we have two very prominent skaters who rank high in the Asian X-games rankings. They are Pa’din Musa and Ah Thong (both nicknames). Pa’din has a skateboarding shop, Climax in Komtar, Penang and a forum whilst Ah Thong works in Cool Elements in BB Plaza (just next to Metrojaya entrance on the 2nd floor).

Both my number two and number three sons are very much into skateboarding and I have to spent EVERY DAY at the Penang Municipal Youth Park to accompany them. (gee, I hate this part of being under the hot sun)

skateboarding

We have been to several skateboarding parks in Malaysia. Some are pretty run down and some are not built according to standards.

Only three are worth mentioning and rank according to preference :

1) Batu Metropolitan Skate Park

2) Penang Youth Park

3) MPPJ Rakan Muda (opposite Assunta Hospital)

There is a skateboarding park in almost every town built by the Sports Ministry. However, our Malaysians are not very receptive to this sport and hence, most places are badly vandalised or unkept.

skatboarding3

If you have any skateboarding park in your area, please do share! If you are from overseas, can you give me photos of them? I am sure my sons will be thrilled to see what other skateboarding parks look like around the world.

8 thoughts on “Skateboarding in Malaysia

Wu Ching

(February 9, 2006 - 4:04 pm)

i have a skateboarding park here where i live! i will take photos & post it so u & ur boys can see, ok?! 🙂

Acrix

(February 9, 2006 - 7:24 pm)

I started to learn skateboarding recently as well 🙂 I bet ur son gona be thrilled with the clips from http://www.skateboarding.com. They offer some clips on how to do trick like ollie, nollie and so on… Not to be missed is the wednesday woe~

cccp

(February 9, 2006 - 7:54 pm)

when i was younger i wanted to pick up skateboarding. i thought it was the coolest thing on earth. too bad i didn’t have enough money to get those really expensive board, wheels, bolts and nuts.

anyways, it’s cool you’re letting your children enjoy and express themselves this way. one thing though, you should get them protective gears such as elbow pads and helmet… for safety sake.

skate on!

Administrator

(February 10, 2006 - 11:00 pm)

cccp – Yeah, they usually have the protective gears when trying new tricks and I actually should mention them. Skateboarding is an expensive sport, really. The bearings alone can cost RM95 for a decent one. The board RM199, wheels, tracks, griptape etc etc.

Acrix – Wow, you are into skateboarding? Hope to see your around the next time we go to MPPJ/Batu Metropolitan. Look out for the ESPN extreme games or something on May 13 & 14th. My kids already made me promised to take them there.

Wuching – Please, please, please!

pik

(February 11, 2006 - 2:41 am)

most kids around my area just skate in the city or old empty pools. the parks are usually indoor w/ high ramps etc. Then again i just snowboard =P

NYC-NJ

wahlau

(February 17, 2006 - 10:33 pm)

5xmom, try flickr. it always give you something you might be looking for…

shithead

(March 15, 2006 - 9:58 pm)

malaysia skatepark are full of shit hence those skateboarders are posers trying to act as if they are pros, even wearing beanie under a hot sun at 40 degress. real skater will skate where they belongs. wannabes are full of shit!

HollyisTooWild

(October 30, 2006 - 12:00 pm)

44444