Kawan’s puff paratha and dhall

PICT1222

Lots of photos, lots of promo for a brand that I had been buying for years. No, I don’t get free roti canai for writing this.

PICT1228

It is easy to go out and grab some roti canai. But it is faster to take one frozen piece from the fridge and fry it myself. Just take the frozen dough, put it in a hot, non-stick wok, without oil. Turn it a few turns and tadaaa…puffy pratha done to perfection.

PICT1231

If you take care of the fire well, you get crispy roti outside and fluffy, soft dough insides. In fact, it beats many roti canai from the mamak stall.

PICT1221

What is roti canai without dhall, right? The company produces frozen curries in some heat safe plastic bags.

PICT1220

Put the frozen packet in boiling water till it thaws and is warm. No, it won’t kill you ‘cos the plastic is made from some heat safe plastic bag.

PICT1223

I added some lady’s fingers or okra to the curry. It is really good!

Unfortunately, the company’s website, Kawanfood doesn’t show their yummy foods. They do have some great frozen foods like KG Mantou and etc. Yoohoo! Kawanfood, want to engage me as your food ambassador? I can help you to expand your roti paratha worldwide. πŸ™‚ Because I know these roti and dhall will be extremely good in winter.

13 thoughts on “Kawan’s puff paratha and dhall

maR

(April 5, 2006 - 11:58 pm)

Wah how convenient, dal in a bag…sorta *lol*

Lisa

(April 6, 2006 - 12:05 am)

Lilian,
    we just had this for breakfast 2 weekends ago!!! When I saw it in my regular supermarket, I can’t believe they have it here!!!! You’re right it is sooo yummy and bring me straight back home.
    They don’t stock the dhall curry however and we had our roti with the chicken curry I made the night before.
    Aiyoh so yummy – really pacified my cravings for roti canai.
    Now I want frozen nasi lemak bungkus!!!
    Lisa

kris

(April 6, 2006 - 2:14 am)

yeah, they should export to Hungary. so i dont have to make my own roti canai (non-tossed). really crave it πŸ™

mike lee

(April 6, 2006 - 6:33 am)

Frozen Roti Pratha is available here in Phoenix Arizona, It’s supereasy and truly convenient. Alas no frozen curry bags hence I used Yeo Hiap Seng;s canned goods.

Rodney

(April 6, 2006 - 8:43 am)

hey we have that in perth.. πŸ™‚

mumsgather

(April 6, 2006 - 9:34 am)

Boy oh boy! I’m going to grab some this weekend! Thanks.

babe_kl

(April 6, 2006 - 11:02 am)

i lup their chapati!!!! and their vege curry too!!! yumz

flower

(April 6, 2006 - 11:48 am)

Yes, they have it in Perth too. I bought the big packet since my son loves to eat it. It is a bit different from the normal roti canai you bought from the shop because it is fluffier. But I still miss going out to the mamak shop and have my roti canai or thosai for breakfast. I hope they open one here in Perth.

kk

(April 6, 2006 - 2:51 pm)

I love Kawan Pratha. It is no doubt the best frozen pratha you can find in the market. 2 months ago, I decided to try out durian pratha or durian pancake like some would call it. I used Kawan’s plain pratha with the pre-packed D24 durian I got from Giant. Removed the durian seeds and added a pinch of salt in the flesh then sprayed it onto the pratha and cooked under low heat. Man, it was heaven!

Prometeuz

(April 6, 2006 - 4:08 pm)

Yummy….Kawan is also my favourite….i will try the lady’s finger on my next Kawan’s meal…Thank you Auntie.

foodcrazee

(April 6, 2006 - 5:04 pm)

hmmm…try this when u over come ur phobia.

Heta up the paratha, remove, cracked an EGG into the pan, half way thru, tampal ur paratha unto the egg and remove when done. Nice and moist…..add some eggy flavour to ur paratha…..

Tinkerbell

(April 6, 2006 - 7:35 pm)

Hi Lilian,

I find these articles of yours tremendously helpful to someone like me who cannot cook. I actually chanced upon this same brand of roti canai in recent months in an Oriental supermarket, and tried it and could not believe how good it is! Imagine, we are actually able to get great roti canai here in Adelaide, Australia.

I also really like all your simple home recipes eg. the grilled cheese sandwich. They are so easy yet totally delicious. Please keep them coming!

Thanks,
    Tinkerbell

xel

(April 23, 2006 - 1:30 pm)

hey hey,they have it here too…in little ol’ Galway, Ireland..but not in supermarkets. i found these smackingly tasty rotis at the small muslim grocery shop.oooooo must.have.roti.canai….