Winter melon is this huge, light green, waxy outer skin and white, soft inner flesh melon that is available all year round and not only in winter. Chinese believes it is cooling to the body. It can be slow boil in sweet dessert or make as savoury soup.
My rather oily winter melon soup. (just remove chicken skin to reduce the fats) My children drink and eat the chicken pieces as a main meal. Just mix with lots of white rice and the younger ones already have good appetite.
To make the soup:
Recipe for winter melon soup
- A few pieces of meat with bones (I use a chicken thigh)
- 1 bulb garlic
- 200 grams winter melon, skinned, seeded and cut into chunks
- 6-8 red dates (this will give sweetness to the soup)
- 1 big tablespoon of wolfberries
- salt, pepper to taste
- 2 bowls of water (or as much as you can finish, no point using more than you can drink, make the soup more concentrated and tastes better)
Optional – 1 tablespoons of Chinese Shao Hsing wine and 2 dried oysters (not mandatory but it does make the soup more wholesome)
Method : Boil the chicken pieces in some hot water for a while till chicken turn colour. Drain water away and wash clean the chicken. This will ensure that the soup is clear. Then, only put all the ingredients into the pot and boil over big fire until the water boils. Reduce fire to the minimum and let the soup simmer for at least 30 – 45 minutes.