Recipe : Pea sprout with dried fish

This tiny white stem with little green leaves vegetable is called the pea sprout or dou miao in Mandarin.  It is rather stringy when allowed to grow mature but taste crunchy and full of fibre if young.  It needs only a fast stir fry with garlic.

They shrink tremendously after cooking so always buy a big bunch.  I just stir fry it with chopped garlic and flavoured with a little oyster sauce.  To make it more tasty, I used the dried fish fillet (not sure what it is called in Canto?) which had been deep fried and pounded.  Yummy! A sure way to avoid constipation!

7 thoughts on “Recipe : Pea sprout with dried fish

maR

(April 23, 2006 - 5:02 pm)

Laaah mcm telepathic ability pulak. Last night I read about pea shoot and wondered how it looked like… now answered! Thanks kak lilian

Lia

(April 23, 2006 - 6:59 pm)

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog, and your articles are very interesting. However, I do remember the last time you posted about the mushroom snacks. I believe it’s mushroom that has been fried and then flavoured. If you could tell me where to get them, I would appreciate it so much.

Thank you.

(April 24, 2006 - 10:45 am)

Hi Lia – I just bought them from Guardian yesterday. It is available in bigger supermarkets and Guardian too.

maR – Tapi I still wonder what kind of pea sprout la. Never seen the plant before.

babe_kl

(April 24, 2006 - 12:11 pm)

the fish is known as “tzoe hau yue” in canton if we’re refering to the same thing lah kakaka… in KL some places put some of the powdered fish in the Fried Hokkien Mee

(April 24, 2006 - 1:35 pm)

babe_kl – I think so. I also deep fry them and then, pound them. It is rather hard, unless those crispy thin slices from expensive restaurants. Wonder why.

QuaVadis

(April 25, 2006 - 1:12 pm)

Can you cook this with chinese red wine and garlic? I know most veg’s that I fry taste really great with Chinese red wine and garlic.

With regards to the eggs with twin yolk, I usually get my fresh eggs from an egg supplier that stays near my house and he has a huge chicken farm somewhere in the outskirts of town and I usually get the largest grade one’s and those are the one’s with twin yolks. Its RM7.80 a tray..nothing spectacular bout the twin yolks, its just smaller and the size of both twin yolks combined is more or less the same as a the size of a single yolk in that grade category.

Lia

(April 26, 2006 - 7:57 pm)

Really?
    I’ve been to hypermarkets but I just cant seem to find them. Urgh. Perhaps its my lack of finding skills like always. Must try harder at searching next time.
    Thanks.