Recipe: Cooking Island – Cream cracker steam cake

This is a pre-mixed, 3-easy-steps steam cake recipe.  However, they tasted so nice, I am going to dedicate a 6-photo  shots of them.

Cooking Island is a newly opened shop selling baking needs and something new – sauces and other cooking ingredients.  I popped by the other day and the owner recommended to me this packet of cream cracker steam cake pre-mix.  For only RM4, I decided to give it a try.  I just need to add butter and eggs to them so it is something anyone can do.

After the mixing, I am supposed to steam the cake for 40 minutes.  But I put them in muffin tins and it takes only 15 minutes on my rice cooker steamer.  Real easy, eh?

Tadaaa…after 15 minutes, I get these chubby, cute, adorable, yummy looking steamed cakes.  As cute as the Ribena Berry which my toddler insisted to be photographed along with the cake.

I baked a bigger one which took 30 minutes.

The texture is somewhat like the ‘mahlai kou’ or steamed brown sugar cake.  However it tastes a lot nicer because of the aroma of the cream crackers.  Of course, it is also very fattening but to my skinny kids, that is not much of a problem.

One more cake left which I am keeping for my toddler’s breakfast.  It is really good.  But unfortunately, you have to buy the pre-mix from Cooking Island because I don’t have the faintest idea how they prepare this delicious cake mix.  Cooking Island is located along Jalan Tanjung Tokong, near the Gurney Drive roundabout.  The moment you turned from the roundabout into Jalan Tanjong Tokong, quickly watch out for Cooking Island on your left.  I don’t have the address or telephone at the moment because I had discarded the address.  But I am sure I will be back soon for other purchases.  The owner told me she is going to run a cooking class there soon.  So, do give this steam cream cracker cake a try.  I bet anyone can make good cakes because it is fuss free and gadget free.

12 thoughts on “Recipe: Cooking Island – Cream cracker steam cake

SkyJuice7

(May 2, 2006 - 9:53 am)

Am not a muffin fan, but wish I could have a bite of these. I could almost smell them.. almost.

soleilina

(May 2, 2006 - 11:43 am)

oohhh… this Cooking Island’s tau keh is a good friend of my uncle’s. I kenal the wife oso.. The name’s Erina and she conducts cookery classes there too. Another foodie, she is.

Thomas Foo

(May 2, 2006 - 12:43 pm)

Hi Lilian,

I refer to your earlier post on Pg Marina. This Wesak holiday 12/5 I intend to take some overseas friends there. Is it open to public? Is there restaurant for lunch there? You have the phone no or contact person?

I am in China and have problem google.

Thank you for your help.

Thomas
    thomasfoo2004@hotmail.com

(May 2, 2006 - 1:48 pm)

Hi Thomas – I think the office is open to public but it being a public holiday, I doubt so. The last I visit, there isn’t any restaurant there. I found their contact here:
    Tanjong City Marina
    Weld Quay, 10200, Penang
    Tel:+604 210 2330, Fax:+604 2102334, VHF Channel 20, 68, 69
    info@penangport.com.my
    New marina managed by the Penang Port Sdn Bhd (PPSB) with 140 berths for smaller vessels and 20 berths for superyachts. Latitude:5° 25′ N, Longtitude: 100°21’E. (Penang Pilot Channel 12 – may assist to alert the marina). Basic facilities of electricity and water with more facilities to come.

soleilina – Yakah…I chatted with her and gave her my URL but forgot to ask her name pulak cos my toddler was running all over. She told me about the cooking class too but I memang malas to learn anything. Hahaha.

sky – It is a cake but I cuma use the muffin tins cos easier for the kids to eat. Very nice la sebab cream crackers memang aromatic kan?

chrissy

(May 2, 2006 - 2:46 pm)

the pre-mix ingredient is finely-crushed cream crackers (about 40pcs) and some flour. im not quite sure if its baking flour or what coz normally my job is just to crush the cream crackers into powdery fine then mix them with egg and butter. aunt does the flour part. try this: steam half batter 1st then add milo/cocoa powder (thin layer will do) then pour the rest of the batter and steam for another 20mins – my son (and the whole family) loves it!

boo_licious

(May 3, 2006 - 4:42 am)

It looks like the apam cake. I have a string of steamed cake receipes but they contain lots of condensed milk hence I have never tried them as takut fattening.

Thomas Foo

(May 4, 2006 - 9:16 am)

Grace

(May 5, 2006 - 5:06 pm)

Aunty Lilian,

Could you pls tell me what time the shop opened & closed? I want to visit that place la….
    The photos makes me drool…

Do they closed on Sunday? or maybe Saturday?

=)

Erina Law

(May 19, 2006 - 12:05 pm)

Dear Lilian,

Someone drop by my shop yesterday and immediately she came in she asked my husband for the Cream Cracker Cake Premix. He showed to her and asked her anyone recommended it. She said she knew it thru a friend in KL who read your article about the cake. She told my husband that her friend from KL also asked her to buy a few packets for her. My husband was shocked and told me about it later. Immediately, I thought of you because I read your articles and they are lovely. So I login to malaysiabest. I were right, it was you who wrote about the article. I showed it to my hubby, he said you are a good photographer. A really pro one. He insisted that I must write to you. Trying to find your email add but can’t therefore, I decided to place a note here to say a big THANK YOU for writing about my shop. My husband say he would love to meet up with you too. He wants to thank you personally for the article you wrote about us. Once again thank you. Looking forward to meet up with you again.

soleilina

(May 19, 2006 - 3:29 pm)

hehhe.. Erina, di sini engkau ye? hehehe

Cooking Island

(May 19, 2006 - 7:59 pm)

Grace,

We are open from 11.00am – 7.30 pm Mon-Friday , Sat 11.00-5.00pm , Sunday Closed

[…] I was very pleased with the cream cracker cake I steamed the other day and returned to Cooking Island to get some two days ago. I got to meet both Lawrence and Erina, the owners of the shop and had a pleasant chat with them. […]