In case you do not know, one of the fastfood outlet has this promo. However, at RM9.90 it hardly fills my kids’ stomachs. I spent RM38 the other day just to feed the three young ones. The reviews aren’t great too as can be seen here.
So, I improvise. The above yummy looking photo is my version. I fried the chicken myself but the mushroom sauce is bought from the stores. Cost :RM8 for 4 huge chicken thighs and RM5.50 for this wonderful, cheesy flavour mushroom sauce.
Here’s the recipe:
2 chicken thighs seasoned overnight with flavours of your choice
I used pepper, fish sauce and rice wine
1 egg white – beat till foamy
Flour – You can use a mixture of cornflour with baking powder or use those meant for frying. I used Hup Loong 7-beans flour. (will post a pic next time)
Dip chicken into egg white foam, roll in flour and fry in very hot oil.
To ensure your chicken is crispy, here are the tips:
- Oil must be very hot before you put the chicken in
- Fry small quantities at each batch
- Reduce fire after the outer layers have bubbled well
- Leave to fry for several minutes over medium fire (like 20 minutes?)
- Turn on the fire again to heat the oil at the last few minutes. This will foce out some of the oil.
- If you are not too lazy, take out the chicken, leave the oil to heat up again (you can see some ‘heat’ floating but don’t let the oil smokes, this can cause cancer ler)
- Put in the chicken pieces again and you can get a satisfying ‘charrrrrr’ where all the bubbles will appear. Just dip the chicken for a short while without burning it.
There, a crispy fried chicken ala KFC. Homemade fried chicken is way better than those outsides because it is much healthier, no doubt still as oily. But remember that it is confirmed that when oil are heated over their max temperature, the breakdown of it can cause cancer. Hawkers are known to use recycled oil whereby they buy the used oil which is still clean from restaurants and use them for frying. I am not kidding you. This is written by a doctor in his book. (will post that next time too) Therefore, you won’t find me eating too much deep fried food from untrusted sources. Have you seen how black some of the oils used?
There aren’t any fancy accompaniments like coleslaw or mashed potatoes because I didn’t have time to prepare them when I took this photo.