Pap panas-panas (curry puff)

If you are from around here, you probably had seen or bought the curry puffs sold by this old man who used to ply public events and festivals selling his curry puffs. His voice is very loud and he would shout, “Pap panas-panas” and honking a bicycle horn. The statidium was his regular haunt.

I think the old man has passed on or too old to sell anymore. Now, this woman and another man are selling the curry puffs in the same way. Except that she rides a bike and don’t shout the same way like the old man. I asked her if she is related to the old man but apparently not.

The curry puff has more skin than fillings. After all, they used to sell to students so it has to be economical. Usually, the curry puffs are hot. I had bought them a few times and though, they don’t taste that great, hot curry puff is always nice.

The special feature of this curry puff is the pickled onions and chillies that they pile on the curry puffs. If you don’t mind some stinky breaths after eating, the crunch of the onions, spiciness of the chillies and sourish taste is really something you should try, at least once.

I bought this curry puff just for the blog. So, I hope you have had enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed stuffing myself with the huge karipap panas-panas.

The lady vendor is usually found at the Race Course, just before horse racing. I bumped into her at the International Floral Fest. Very friendly and sweet lady and was flattered that I took her photo. RM 1 per piece.

11 thoughts on “Pap panas-panas (curry puff)

flower

(May 30, 2006 - 2:30 pm)

Never even seen that type of karipap before. Might like to try one day. So far I have only eaten the normal karipap. But here in Perth, you can buy a frozen karipap made in Malaysia. The fresh karipap is usually bigger than the one in Malaysia. Half the size of the cup saucer.

Sooi2

(May 30, 2006 - 2:52 pm)

RM1 for such a penyek pap?? cutthroat oh!

wendy

(May 30, 2006 - 2:55 pm)

this is the one mentioned in flavours magz rite?

(May 30, 2006 - 3:13 pm)

wendy – I haven’t finished reading the flavours mag but I think it is ‘cos there are only two of them here.

sooi2 – Wah…bigger than your palm wor…so you say filling anot? I ate and don’t eat dinner liao.

flower – Karipap is the most satisfying kueh ya? Pedas and panas. Best nyer….

tfp

(May 30, 2006 - 4:30 pm)

I love curry puffs. Have never had one so flat but I’d give it a try!

f1re80

(June 1, 2006 - 10:17 pm)

Woow thanks for the tip.. will look for it when I go back to Penang for my balik kampung holiday..

muteaudio

(June 2, 2006 - 2:28 am)

That old man takde lagi? Those days usually see him at the City Stadium masa sukan sekolah or football match. Actually I like the Karipap, the contrasting taste of the pickled onions to the curried keledek won me over. U can only find it in Pg. I wonder mana dia dapat idea to stuff pickled onion into a karipap. Should give him an award for being an innovator.

boringest

(June 2, 2006 - 5:57 pm)

RM1 per piece? that’s quite expensive isn’t it…I still remember in primary school they were only sellling for 20 cents. Miss it terribly though over here in the UK

BIlly

(October 13, 2006 - 12:25 pm)

oh… that pak cik was.. awesome last time..I still remember a couple of years ago… there was this time.. I was on my way back to Alor Setar and was sitting in the ferry on the way across to Butterworth.. and I hear those famous..”PAP” yells. The thing I like about his karipap is those unions… just fabulous.
    Oh, and then.. there were the times when CATHAY CINEMA was still alive.. and he’ll be outside selling those karipap for the 9pm show… ah.. those days..and those memories…

safee

(November 15, 2006 - 10:26 pm)

hi i live in the Uk and i want to buy karipap mould to be sent here…does anyone know how i can do this.

[…] weekend, hubby bought these karipap which I believe is only available in Penang. It is the famous pap panas panas karipap. Not exactly the best but because it has been around for so long, it becomes part of our Penangites […]