Mangosteen – Garcinia mangostana

Mangosteen

The mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) is a tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated in the Sunda Islands and the Moluccas. The tree grows from 7 to 25 meters tall. The edible fruit is deep reddish purple when ripe. In Asia, the mangosteen fruit is known as the “Queen of Fruits.” for its indescribably delicious flavor. It is closely related to other edible tropical fruits such as button mangosteen and lemondrop mangosteen.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[tag]Mangosteen[/tag] is so easily available here. When I was small, I used to have a few mangosteen trees around the house. We just need to pluck them from the trees. Those over-ripened fruit will drop and I picked them from the grounds in the morning. It is fun to walk through the wet grass to search for mangosteen. (the fruits that had dropped cannot be stored and should be eaten immediately)

The price of mangosteen varies according to supply. Sometimes a fruit costs a mere 10 sen and it can be as high as 50 sen too.

Overhere, it is eaten as fruit. However, I read on the internet that it has medicinal value. I am not sure about that but the old folks always remind us children to eat some mangosteen after taking durians to counter the ‘heat’ of the durians.

I don’t really like mangosteen because of the sap and red juices from its skin. However, it is a very tasty fruit, unique in its own taste.

9 thoughts on “Mangosteen – Garcinia mangostana

Nicktay

(July 4, 2006 - 2:34 pm)

I love this fruit!! becareful when eating them, they colour from the skin of the fruit stains and is almost impossilble to remove

Jee

(July 4, 2006 - 2:35 pm)

It’s mangosteen season again.. just bought some last weekend when I was back in Ipoh.

Sooi2

(July 4, 2006 - 3:06 pm)

I dun understand y most of our local fruits are such a pain to get the isi out of the kulit – durian (obvious to see), rambutan (yucks, i hate the dirty red hair infested with ants), langsat (sticky shmuck) and yes, mangosteen as well.

y can’t the the de-skinning process be as nice, simple and clean like apple and orange??

Budakbudu

(July 4, 2006 - 3:18 pm)

Look at the bottom of the fruit. You can see a flower-like structure. Count the ‘petals’, and you’ll be surprised to learn that the numbers are always equal the slices of fruit inside!

Rosa

(July 4, 2006 - 4:38 pm)

Although we can buy this fruit, I never tasted it… Don’t ask me why!

Your post has awaken my curiosity, so I think that it will be my next “discovery”!

wuching

(July 4, 2006 - 7:24 pm)

queen of fruits!

Irene

(July 4, 2006 - 11:09 pm)

Eh… I thought that the old people always said that don’t eat mangosteen after you eat durian else u’ll get stomachahce.

flower

(July 5, 2006 - 8:48 am)

I bought mangosteen last month in one of the veg and fruit shop here in Perth. I paid AU$2.00 for each fruit. I only bought 5 and my daughter ate 4 of it. I love mangosteen and so does my daughter. But for AU$2.00 a piece, I cant really indulgence in it too much….

tummythoz

(July 5, 2006 - 2:37 pm)

Crazy for it! In my toddler-years, used to have a ‘uniform’ when eating this. Yeah, a gawdy shirt dedicated to the mangosteen season so my mom won’t be overstressed with the mess!