Recipe : Spicy stir fried spaghetti

Preparing a meal for one person is not really a chore if we have some ready made sauces and ingredients that store well. Planning in advance and buying vegetables and meats that can go well together also helps. Separate them into single portions and freeze until needed.

I dislike boiling spaghetti because one needs to watch over it to get the right texture, i.e. al dente. So, what I do is to boil a whole packet which weighs 500 grams. Then, I use the main portion for the family meal and keep one single portion for myself for lunch the next day. I usually keep them in food grade plastic bag and store in the fridge.

Recipe : Stir fried spaghetti
Ingredients

One portion spaghetti

Tomato based sauce – If you have it use it, if not forget it

Lots of grey oyster mushroom (grey is the large size mushroom, avoid the white small one because the white ones have very tough stems)

A bunch of young water cress, wash and keep it fresh

Lots of garlics, chopped

Olive oil

And any kind of spicy sauce

Â

MethodÂ

1) Cook spaghetti the normal way (boil for 10-20minutes)

2) Heat olive oil, add garlic

3) Put in spaghetti and all the sauces and mushroom

4) Flavour if not enough taste
5) Sprinkle with cheese and add in raw watercress

I used the pizza font and dried shrimps chillies bought from Cooking Island. As I ran out of pasta, I used a mixture of farfalla and spaghetti.

Grey oyster mushroom goes perfectly well with spaghetti and watercress gives it an added flavour. I like fresh watercress for its ‘earth-y’ taste. Try this combination next time and let me know the result :) .

6 thoughts on “Recipe : Spicy stir fried spaghetti

maR

(July 11, 2006 - 11:58 pm)

Alah sedapnyaa… dah la tengah lapaq ni 🙂

suituapui

(July 12, 2006 - 8:57 am)

U can test to see whether spaghetti is cooked or not be taking a starnd and throwing it at the wall. If it sticks, it’s cooked (But throw away that strand! Don’t put it back…or leave it, stuck to your wall!!! Ha ha ha!) U can fry marcoroni Penang kwei tiaw style;also nice!!

Mei

(July 12, 2006 - 11:25 am)

Hi Lilian,

I bought a spagetti cooking container at a supermarket in Canada for $15.99 (about RM48), and it works amazing!

All I need is to put the spagetti in the tall cylindrical container, and pour in hot boiling water for 5 minutes, and it cook al-dante!

Since we eat spagetti like 3 times a week, this tool is really a good gadget to have around!

earl-ku

(July 12, 2006 - 3:00 pm)

I never liked spagetti being stir friend, espcially those fusion hong kong food restaurant, which server stir friend udon and spagetthi … its doesnt feel right

spagetthi goes with a sauce, and udon goes in a broth …

for stir fried, best if use kway teow, yellow noodle or thick yellow noodle or bee hon, the only stir friend i know is char kway teow, hokkien mee, fook kien chow … haha typical china man …

maR

(July 12, 2006 - 6:31 pm)

Mei,
    That cylindrical containers are sold in the UK for £19.99!!

domestic rat

(July 13, 2006 - 12:02 pm)

This is interesting! Will try one day… was thinking of changing the tomato sauce to tomyam sauce instead though for the extra spice.