Recipe : Baked beans and eggs Chinese style

Just about anyone can cook this so I wouldn’t even dare to call this a recipe. It is the most basic dish that most Chinese households cook when there is nothing else to offer.

What you need is half a can of baked beans and two eggs. A small can is sometimes more expensive than the normal tin so I usually by the normal tin. Keep the rest in an airtight container and store in fridge. If you can afford it, get the imported Heinz brand but any ole’ brands like Cap Pagoda will do too.

Heat some oil, fry the eggs and season with a little salt and pepper. Do not allow the eggs to be totally cooked but not runny either. Pour in the baked beans and mix and break up those eggs into pieces. Taste. You may add some tomato ketchup if the flavour is not good enough. Usually, imported brands tend to taste bland.

Serve. Good with white rice or bread.

Of course, there are more elaborate additions like luncheon meats or spam. Some families cook with potatoes and onions. To do this, just fry the onions till fragrant, add potato cubes and simmer in some water till soft. Then, add the beans. You can add some curry powder and make it spicy a bit.

Beans are boring food. But read up Wikipedia for some history of it to make it more interesting.

The Heinz company markets their product in the UK under the name “Baked Beanz”, in reference to a 1960s advertisement campaign which used the slogan “Beanz Meanz Heinz”.

Heinz is rather expensive over here and sometimes, a can of Heinz can buy four cans of local brands. Do get the low salt version (light green can) of Heinz because I found the darker green, normal ones are way too salty.

7 thoughts on “Recipe : Baked beans and eggs Chinese style

ShaolinTiger

(July 28, 2006 - 7:41 pm)

Baked beans are good for your heart
    The more you eat the more you fart
    The more you fart the better you feel
    Let’s eat beans for every meal!

She's Jess

(July 28, 2006 - 8:24 pm)

They look yummy leh…

babe_kl

(July 29, 2006 - 1:22 am)

wahhh this is one of my fave dish!!! so now i know dat i need to fry the egg first before adding the beans cos usually i do it the other way round but never seems right like my mom’s.

JL

(July 29, 2006 - 4:04 am)

One of the stuff I always get at the economy rice stall.

Karen

(July 29, 2006 - 7:18 pm)

Baked beans Heinz here costs from AUD 0.79 cent (on specials), usually is at AUD 1.10. Lots of varieties e.g. with sausages, sweet chili, english style, normal, less salt, barbeque… all from Heinz and the only one tastes normal is less salt, the rest is too salty.. and weird?

mumsgather

(July 31, 2006 - 9:55 am)

I always make this dish when I’m lazy to cook cos its so simple to do.

Sheryl Lee

(July 31, 2006 - 10:50 am)

Hi Lillian, well, I’ve never tried Heinz baked beans before, but I love Yeos because their beans are whole and taste a little crips rather than soft. Don’t really like the Tower brand as the beans are mushy.

Yeos brand is good enough to be cooked as is, without the onions and garlic. Though they add a nice flavor to the dish, I still like the taste of the beans as is.

I usually just boil potatoes then add meatballs and the beans and it comes out really satisfying. The good part is the meatball which I season with oyster sauce, sesame seed oil, corn starch, black pepper, water, and for a little Italian touch, some oregano. Sprinkle a little oregano into the dish just before I finish cooking.