Watermelon

My hubby has cut these watermelon and arranged them so nicely on the platter so this watermelon deserves a post of its own!

Watermelon is 92 percent water by weight, the highest percentage of any fruit. (Wiki)

Due to its high water content and delicious taste, we have been having watermelons to cool down during this hazy and hot spell.  However, our older folks have sort of drilled into us the ‘evil’ of watermelon.  They said that watermelon must never be taken together with milk.  It will cause ‘wind’.  When I was pregnant and after giving birth, I was forbidden to eat watermelon too.  However, I don’t totally follow these myths but dare not binge on them also.

Between red and yellow watermelon, I prefer the yellow variety but they aren’t easily available and is usually a lot more expensive.  The above fruit platter has papaya and honeydew (the white colour) in the foreground and yellow and red watermelon in the background.  This plate of fruits was from the hotel buffet breakfast that I had sometime back.   It is funny how Caucasians wolfed down fruits for breakfast while some Chinese (the older folks, i.e.) wonder why they never get ‘wind’ like we do. Until today, I dare not eat too much fruits during breakfast because I will end up with stomach cramps for several hours and need the toilet.  Definitely a bad idea if you are one tour with a group.  Probably this is a case of mind over matter.
I wonder if watermelon is easily available in other countries?

12 thoughts on “Watermelon

maR

(August 10, 2006 - 2:32 am)

During summer in the US, watermelon sangatlah mudah nak dpt, so cheap especially around the deep south. Dekat sini pon, banyak jugak waktu summer.
    Tapi, aduh cantik sungguh your husband atur itu watermelon….

bert

(August 10, 2006 - 9:52 am)

When I was a youngster in the Philippines I was often told that alcoholic drinks, especially gin, and watermelon are not supposed to be taken together. I
    never paid attention to this nonsense and I do it whenever I feel like it to this day. Cold this be a reason why my hair is all white at age 69 LOL.

dragoncity

(August 10, 2006 - 10:34 am)

wow….now watermelon do look attractive…haha

suituapui

(August 10, 2006 - 11:11 am)

Reminds of the time I went to see Joanne Kam Po Po. She was talking about those shows at Patpong, what they do with bananas, peeling them and spitting out the skins! She said she (being fat) would have to use a watermelon…and then spit out the seeds…like a machine gun. No need to learn karate for self-defence!

WMD

(August 10, 2006 - 11:27 am)

I did not know about the milk and watermelon issue until two weeks back my babysitter told me but did not tell me the reason. Thanks for giving me the reason about milk and watermelon…it is Wind.

pik

(August 11, 2006 - 12:23 am)

well up in the north u.s. watermelons are seasonal. also i’ve yet to see a yellow version.

tummythoz

(August 11, 2006 - 11:22 am)

I prefer to dig in with a spoon! Err.. wonder if there’s any human out there that dislike this fruit. O.o?

babe_kl

(August 11, 2006 - 1:02 pm)

i wonder if all husbands do a wonderful job in that department (cutting fruits) cos mine is just like yours, he can cut them up beautifully. if ask me to cut hor, sure the fruits looked smashed up. darn shy!

Karen

(August 11, 2006 - 6:52 pm)

Only red & seedless varieties in Melb. I was at a fruit shop stall in KL and asked if my hubby wanted to have watermelon (while pointing the yellow wmelon) he kept saying no, thinking it was honeydew! So I explained and he liked the yellow ones better! 😀

Angeline

(August 12, 2006 - 2:05 pm)

wooo nyum la… my hbby likes to cut it like in cubes and he will serve in our desert bowl… wa lidat must go out to buy water melon already … got craving now!

Anil Singh

(November 15, 2006 - 9:02 pm)

Dear Sir/Madam, I am a Year 10 student at Kelsey Park Sports College. I am currently undertaking a DiDA course (http://www1.edexcel.org.uk/dida-d101/html/SPB101Homepage.htm) in which I have to try to encourage others to eat fruit. I have seen a nice picture on your website that I would like permission to use on http://www.malaysiabest.net/2006/08/10/watermelon/. The image is called 211083909_3e9369eaf5. If permission is granted it will only be used in the DiDA project and the only people who will see it is my teacher, the Edexcel Examiner and other students.
    Many thanks.

(November 15, 2006 - 9:14 pm)

Anil – Go ahead! Give credit to this URL if you can.