Ideas needed. Menu for 40 pax of 16 yrs old

I volunteered to prepare dinner for 40 pax of sixteen years old teenagers this Saturday night. Two of my church friends are preparing nasi tomato and ayam masak merah. So, my task is to prepare some other accompanying dishes. They are Catholics but consist of Indian, Eurasian and Chinese. As what I understand, most Indians, irrespective of their religions, don’t take pork.
I plan to cook Chinese stir fry vegetables, like mixture of broccoli/cauliflower/carrots/mushroom/yellow peppers which goes well with most teenagers. I will probably use some chicken meat or shrimps for the flavour. Since, these are hungry, growing teens, maybe I will make an additional spicy, tomyam, squid balls. These are dishes that I am very familiar with cooking, doesn’t cost much and taste ok even not that piping hot. I have to cook at home bring it to Tanjung Bungah.
My eldest son is staying at the College General with the rest of his peers for a confirmation camp/motivation weekend. We, the parents, are taking turns to provide the teens with their breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper for the 3 days, 2 nights camp. It is going to be fun for us parents too because we get chip in our cooking skills to provide them with home cooked meals.

So, folks, any other suggestions for something that is easy to prepare, economical and goes with nasi tomato? I think some pineapple/cucumber salad would be nice but I don’t dare attempt doing something I have never done before. Recipes, anyone? What does teens like?

23 thoughts on “Ideas needed. Menu for 40 pax of 16 yrs old

Erina Law

(September 20, 2006 - 2:14 pm)

That is always a headache when u need to prepared for a big group of people to eat but for me I always fully utilised whatever equipments I have to help. Try bake tomyam dory fish. Since there are ayam masak merah and you will be cooking mixed vegetables. Tomyam fish will be something to go with Nasi Tomato and easy to prepared. Cut the dory fillet into 1 pc per 1 person serving or the whole fillet. Marinate with the tomyam paste for about 1/2 hour. Then, take some tomyam paste and add in some kaffir lime juice. Beside that prepared some slice tomato, slice onion, chop bunga kantan, kaffir lime leaves, banana leaves and aluminium foil. Place the banana leave on the foil. Put a few slices of tomato on the leave. Place the dory fillet on top and pour some of the tomyam paste which you mixed with kaffir lime juice on the fish. Put the onion, some chop bunga kantan and kaffir lime leave on the fish and wrap. Bake in the oven at 160C for about 20 – 35 min. Depends on the size of fish fillet.

Erina Law

(September 20, 2006 - 2:33 pm)

After sitting down for a while I thought of the following that you might want to consider :
    1. Boil Egss cooked with sambal
    2. Fried Ikan Bilis
    3. Sambal Ikan Bilis
    4. Acar Rampai
    6. Taukua Sumbat with Thai Chilli Sauce (the easiest of all – cut the tuakua in the shape of triangle and fry. Slit and stuff with cucumber, bean sprout and carrot. Served with thai chilli sauce)
    7.Fried Sausages
    8. Steam brinjal/ lady fingers (taste it with soy sauce and garlic oil)
    9. Pergedil, normally if we go to the malay shop the used minced beef, you can substitude with minced chicken or fish. It’s mixed with mashed potato (steam and mashed) and chop onion and parsley. Later, fried it
    10. Fried Samosa , u can do this tomorrow and fried on Saturday or put them in the oven to bake

I really hope the above idea do help you. 🙂
    Happy Cooking!!!

f1re80

(September 20, 2006 - 3:05 pm)

Don’t forget to cater to the vegetarians!

Make lotsa punch. Somehow I think the above is enough.

Important to have good music and a good chaperon. This isn’t like party right? only makan-makan?

rayhana

(September 20, 2006 - 3:06 pm)

lilian, since there is already chicken, making another dish of fried chicken (although kids love this, whatever age) wouldnt be a good idea?
    anyhow, the idea of bergedil is good. u can just make a potato-based one – the ‘secret’ is to dip it in beaten egg just before frying it. or if you have a deep fryer, fry some tenggiri.
    maybe make some finger food, sandwiches (tuna, egg, cheese), slices of your simple but scrummy butter cake, etc?
    i dunno, i always have this idea that teens just don’t like vegetables! maybe keep the vege simple – ask your son what he would eat :p then just do a simple stir fry.

pablopabla

(September 20, 2006 - 3:56 pm)

I think teenagers like junk food the most 🙂

Serve them anything that looks like junk food and they will love it 🙂 eg. fried chicken, pizzas, satay (??) etc.

cooking4STP

(September 20, 2006 - 4:21 pm)

Teenagers are always hungry so the trick is to stuff them up full. Fill them up with carbohydrates. Mee goreng, sandwiches, potato salad, pasta…… easy to make. If not, then some desserts – cakes, watermelons (lot of water, so sure to make them feel full. hahah).

Sushi

(September 20, 2006 - 5:35 pm)

Hmmm, Maybe curry chicken, prawn sambal, nasi lemak, frybeehon, nuggets, cakes, sushi, fry oyster mushroom tempura, satay….
    Maybe some teennage dosen like vege, just like me. Hahah…

Sooi Sooi

(September 20, 2006 - 6:54 pm)

ok. this is like a parent cooking competition in disguise, rite? LOL! think any recipes with potatoes and eggs wud be foolproof with teens. how abt potatoes and hard boiled eggs salad with thousand island/mayonnaise dressing? tasty, filling and economical too.

lisa

(September 20, 2006 - 8:56 pm)

this is my concoction which my son loves and everyone I’ve tried it on always asks for repeats. The best thing is it is cold salad and so you can make it early in the day, stick it in the fridge and just bring it along for the event without being all hot and bothered with cooking.
    Ingredients :
    Pasta (any kind .. my son loves shells or you can use spirals or ribbons)
    green apples
    hard-boiled eggs
    raisins
    can of corn (jolly green giant)
    salad sauce : mayo, coleslaw sauce and sugar

cut the green apples and hard boiled eggs about the size of the pasta being used and just mix everything together. amount of sauce to your taste. proportion of ingredients also as you like it. add anything else that may complement the ingredients.

lisa

bobby

(September 20, 2006 - 10:00 pm)

i’m 17. if i’m at a partee, i look forward to eating pizzazz, fried chic, roast/BBQ chic, carbonated drinks anything fizzy n fried

nasi nasi maybe to make me full….only wit kari…..veggie? no-no…..

😉

blahblah

(September 20, 2006 - 10:29 pm)

I would leave out the shrimp (unless dried) due to possible allergies.

Mama Bok

(September 20, 2006 - 11:55 pm)

Sandwiches and hotdogs are the way to go.. for food for growing boys.. 😉

(September 21, 2006 - 1:14 am)

Wow, so many great ideas. I read until salivating.

Erina – Tks for the tips. I think I might try preparing the dory for my own consumption first. Dare not try for 40 pax, or else tak masak nanti. Hahaha. However, you just gave me an idea. Maybe fried eggs with sambal sauce.

Lisa – That’s the recipe I was searching for. I wanted to try something with apples and now, you gave me. Thanks a lot! Maybe I will replace the eggs with potatoes instead.

Thanks for all the helpful tips, folks. Let’s see what my fickle mind came up with in the end. There are already nasi tomato and ayam masak merah so I have to find something suitable for nasi tomato.

And yeah, 16 yrs old kids nowadays are very health and weight conscious, so they do eat vegetables. All want slim-slim lah.

Celestine

(September 21, 2006 - 1:17 am)

Recipe: Delicious Healthy Salad

Sauce
    – Mix freshly-squeezed lemon juice, sugar, Maggie Seasoning Sauce (the ones in bottles with the sharp yellow tip) and warm water to taste. It should taste slightly sourish kinda-acidic and sweet.

Pour sauce over salad greens (Butterheads, Purplelish and Greenish Veggie, Baby tomatos, anything salad-ish) and hard-boiled eggs (halved/quartered)

It’s delicious, try it! Even my housemate who don’t take raw veggie loved it. 🙂

Add salad and it becomes a healthy balanced meal! 😀

Cynthia

(September 21, 2006 - 7:16 am)

Hi Lilian,

Here’s a simple & easy salad.

Ingredients (A):-
    Green & Red apples
    Honeydew/Cantoulope
    Romaine Lettuce
    Some raisins & almond flakes
    Dressing (B):-
    Whipped Cream & Mayonaise (mixed & taste, the whipped cream ratio to Mayo is 2:1)

Mix (A) & (B). Serve chilled.

babe_kl

(September 21, 2006 - 10:55 am)

i think the cucumber/pineapple acar would be great to accompany tomato rice.

slice cucumber and pineapple into bite sized pieces. you can slice some red chillies too. squeeze lime juice all over and season with salt.

QuaVadis

(September 21, 2006 - 10:55 am)

Usually lots of carbo, but there’s nasi tomato already..so tat’s a bit difficult, but a simple dish is fried macaroni with tuna and onions..

Take a packet of macaroni, boil it, drain and leave aside,

chop onions into rings,or small pieces, but not 2 small, as in not finely chopped,
    cut up some sausages into slices,
    open two cans of tuna in oil (flakes or if its whole tuna, then flake it yourself)

Put oil into pan, heat it, add onions and fry till it sweats bt not change colour, add in 3 eggs, stir around and add in sausages and tuna and then finally macaroni and then season to taste.

Anyway..ur anak in College General? Is this a small step to a longer stay in there 😛 like 7 years stay 😛 and we have to call him Rev. Father 😛

Erina Law

(September 21, 2006 - 1:43 pm)

No prob lilian. Just love to share food with ppl. 🙂
    I have this sandwiches recipes with apple. You can mixed tuna with cube green apple, onion, pepper and some mayo. Sprinkle with a little sugar. Use this as filling for ur sandwiches. All of my guests love this.

molly

(September 21, 2006 - 4:18 pm)

Wow! So many goody recipes .. Since fried egg with sambal is a good idea too, I might suggest instead of sambal sauce u can make some gula melaka sauce(melt gula melaka in water + cornflour 4 thickening + soya sauce) to cater for those stomach that could not stand spicy food. The sweetness of gula melaka goes well with the sourish nasi tomato. Garnish the eggs with some chopped spring onions.

(September 21, 2006 - 6:25 pm)

molly – I was thinking of making egg belandah ‘cos it is easier. Just fry eggs. Make sauce with tumeric juice, tiny portion of belacan, red chillies, onions and season with sugar.

erina – I am going to make a salad too, based on all the recipes I got here.

QV – Good and easy recipe wor. But will keep that for the next time. College General for confirmation camp only lah. But good lah, if at least one or two of them chose the priesthood. I still got two or three to bear me grandkids mah. Hahaha. But hard la ‘cos my kids are all very newly baptised and they aren’t incline yet. I asked them to be altar boys and they give me faces. LOL. However, who knows…God works in mysterious way, right?

babe_kl – Oh is it so easy? Hahaha, I thought must use vinegar. Next time I am going to try it ‘cos I like it with jelak/oily food.

cynthia – I just make a trial sample of apples, egg, potatoe, raisin with mayo. Nice also. Will definitely keep your idea in mind.

celestine – Hey, you can cook! That looks like an easy-peasy recipe too. Tks.

QuaVadis

(September 22, 2006 - 9:54 am)

If God calls them, what to do, let the go.

Ask what STP tends to qoute, what God..err..never mind, you know the line he qoutes about God Giving, God Taketh etc etc etc..

Am glad that you are receptive to the idea of them being priest, but lets all leave it in God’s hand

terence

(September 23, 2006 - 12:09 am)

I used to help my godmother in her catering business. You can never go wrong with chicken curry and fried chicken wings.

babe_kl

(September 23, 2006 - 12:33 am)

i just asked my indian colik across the cubicle for this haha. she said another type is to use vinegar but this is simpler. otherwise, cucumber with thinly sliced red onions mixed with some plain yoghurt. season with salt but i doubt this would be nice with nasi tomato