Recipe : Chicken Cordon Bleu (errm…peach)

I actually set out to make Chicken Cordon Bleu but midway, ditched the idea because I wasn’t in the mood to deep fry the chicken. So, I ended up roasting the chicken and topped it with cling peaches and a slice of cheddar cheese. The whole thing turned out very tasty, nevertheless. Minus the oil of deep frying.

I seasoned the two chicken breasts overnight to make sure that the meat has flavour instead of being plain and dry.

To season chicken, I used:

2 teaspoons hot mustard powder

Few dashes of Worchestershire sauce

Salt & pepper to taste

I slice a ‘pocket’ through the chicken breast so that I can stuff the chicken sandwich ham and cheddar cheese slice.

Just before roasting, I stuffed in one slice of chicken sandwich ham and cheddar cheese and secure it with a satay skewer. Then, bake the chicken at 200 deg. celcius for about 20 minutes. Then, I put a few pieces of peaches and a slice of cheese on top so that the top part of the chicken will not be too dry. Roast for another 10 minutes.

The result is tender pieces of chicken with melting cheese enhanced with the sweetness and fragrance of the peaches. My kids like it because it has some cheese sauce and taste better than the deep fried version that they normally get from Western foods stalls.

If you are making chicken cordon bleu, you may want to pound the meat to make it thinner and tender. After stuffing the meat with ham and cheese, roll it firmly, dip into egg and cover with breadcrumbs and pan fry. I suppose it can be a little tricky to fry because the cheese may cause ‘explosion’. πŸ™‚

14 thoughts on “Recipe : Chicken Cordon Bleu (errm…peach)

molly

(October 12, 2006 - 12:11 am)

Making your own Chicken Cordon Bleu is so much cheaper. A piece of CCB with some chips cost RM7.50 nowadays. And the chicken portion is getting smaller.My son said he is still not full after I spend RM7.50!!!(Might go bankruptlah..he..he.. if many mouths to feed!)

Sooi Sooi

(October 12, 2006 - 1:56 am)

molly…CCB? ROFL!

anyway lilian, ur CCB looks damn inviting…but too bad i’m avoiding ham at the moment!

rasa malaysia

(October 12, 2006 - 9:08 am)

Looks very good!

Sheryl Lee

(October 12, 2006 - 9:18 am)

Ai yoh Lillian!!!!! So mouth watering with the cheese overflowing. In future I must not read your blog before breakfast πŸ˜€ Anyway, what is hot mustard powder and can I use something else as a substitute?

QuaVadis

(October 12, 2006 - 11:12 am)

YUMMY!! a new recipe for lazy people and for the leftover peaches from the cake recipe πŸ˜› hehehe

Speaking of which, fire80, with regards to your question on vanilla pod, please refer to the posting below of aunty on the upside down peach cake..i put the telephone number and website of where you can get vanilla pods in KL and very important to aunty..cos she wants to eat it before she dies..she can get white and black truffles from them also..its a gourment shop that’s run by alliance francaise…go to the website and you think you’ve gone to heaven πŸ˜› vanilla pods cost RM20 for a bundle of 5 pods, a bit costly but oh so worth it!!!

pablopabla

(October 12, 2006 - 11:39 am)

Creativity at its best!

f1re80

(October 12, 2006 - 2:21 pm)

What’s the difference between Chicken Cordon Bleu and Chicken Kiev? when I was growing up my mum had this full set of Cordon Bleu monthly cooking courses. It had this daily menu and recipes to go with it. I used to read them over and over. I think I was Nine years old.

QuaVadis

(October 12, 2006 - 2:34 pm)

fire80: Cordon Blue is cheese and ham stuffed inside, while Chicken Kiev is stuffed with seasoned butter (seasoned with lemon kah, garlic kah pepperkah, herbs kah)

molly

(October 13, 2006 - 1:00 am)

Sooi-Sooi,What is ROFL??

Bradley M

(October 13, 2006 - 2:27 am)

You’ve actually stumbled upon the way that the staff at America’s Test Kitchen (publisher of Cook’s Illustrated) determined was best for making Chicken Kiev. You might want to try that next, using the same cooking method, just coating the chicken with pan-toasted bread crumbs before putting them in the oven.

tonixe

(October 13, 2006 - 10:55 am)

I think its time u set up a peoples’ cafe, otherwise the rest of the non-blogging world will miss all these that we r enjoying !

(October 15, 2006 - 4:25 pm)

Tks for the good comments, did not expect my laziness had led to a new dish. Bradley, over here our Chicken ala Kiev is using bananas. Right? Fire80?

Sheryl – Mustard powder is sort of like mustard paste but in powder form. I got it from Cooking Island. Much easier to store than mustard.

Bradley M

(October 15, 2006 - 5:09 pm)

Bananas? Please show me a recipe for this, because I can’t seem to find one through Google.

In response to f1re80, both recipes involve a chicken cutlet which is pounded to a thin texture, rolled around a different food, then (traditionally) pan fried. However, oven roasting turns out to be a better way to cook these.

The difference is that chicken cordon bleu is filled with ham and swiss cheese, and chicken kiev is filled with a garlic/herb butter.

Erina Law

(October 15, 2006 - 5:25 pm)

If you want to make your chicken tender, marinate it for 30 minutes with pineapple or papaya. Then, wash it with water and marinate with the ingredients you needed. Taste lagi best!!! πŸ™‚