Recipe : Lasagna – Step-by-step photos (part one)

After many weeks of almost no strength to cook, I finally found my verve to cook up a storm again.  So, off to the grocer I went and came back with lots of vegetables and meats.  My children had been watching Garfield 2 (the movie) on DVD and had been bugging me to get lasagna for them to eat.  We tried a few restaurants but none serve lasagna.  So, let’s DIY!

The ingredients needed for the layers.  They are lasagna pieces (which I par-boiled), meat sauce that I cooked with the pressure cooker, basic tomato and basil pasta sauce, cheddar, mozarella, pescano cheeses and a box of cream.

As I am feeding four hungry kids,  I used a Pyrex pie dish to do it instead of lasagna pan.  The layers go from the bottom are in this order:

• olive oil
  • lasagna sheets
  • meat sauce
  • cheese
  • lasagna sheets
  • meat sauce
  • cheese
  • lasagna sheets
  • basic pasta sauce
  • a lot more cheese
  • cream
  • pescano or parmesan powder

The assembled lasagna before baking.  Oven temperature 200 deg. celcius for about 25 minutes or until the top is nicely browned.

The dish that will make you as fat as Garfield, unless you are some skinny 3 – 14 years old teens.  Cost of making it is maybe about RM20, all inclusive.

I will share about making the meat sauce and etc in another post.  Meantime, I am making myself a vegetable stew because lasagna is too rich for me.

With the photos, I hope readers will not find it intimidating to make a dish of lasagna.  You can opt for slimmer version by using vegetables and reduce the amount of cheese you used or replace with low fat cottage cheese.  Plus skip the cream and use low fat milk.

9 thoughts on “Recipe : Lasagna – Step-by-step photos (part one)

ShaolinTiger

(October 18, 2006 - 5:16 pm)

Lasagna is actually one of the easiest things to make, especially if you cheat like you and use tinned pasta sauce 😛

Making white sauce can be hard for first timer, but that’s the only tricky part.

Just gotta know the order, then pop it in the oven, done!

It’s probably too rich cos you used basil sauce and cream not white sauce, plus don’t need SO much cheese, normal cheddar enough, the others are better suited for pizza.

babe_kl

(October 18, 2006 - 11:34 pm)

usually i cheat by using macaroni instead of lasagna sheets since i usually dun stock those up. i oso cheated once by using tinned white/cream pasta sauce that came free wid the spaghetti i bought but i find the sauce too salty. prego was the brand and label is yellow colour one.

Sheryl Lee

(October 19, 2006 - 9:39 am)

Hey Lillian, Dave’s Deli serves really delicious lasagna, but I seem to be alergic to them because they always give me worst diahorea hahaha…. Probably because it is too rich?

Your finished product looks really good and I look forward to reading part 2 of your lasagna recipe.

flower

(October 19, 2006 - 9:53 am)

I just make a big pot of meat sauce for my kids yesterday. They too love lasagne and bolognese so much. But for my sauce, I always put some carrots, can of chopped and whole tomato. Thats the only way my son will eat his vege.

QuaVadis

(October 19, 2006 - 10:38 am)

In reaction to Sheryl Lee comments on Dave Deli, yeah!! one of the best and cld have it for lunch everday when I was in KL hahahaha

Anyway, lasagna is the most innovative dish as you can add whatever you want..

earl-ku

(October 19, 2006 - 10:39 am)

can i have a taste?

ST: eh thats normal, malaysians ike their cheese gila gila wan …

SweetDreamer-J

(October 19, 2006 - 3:56 pm)

aunty lilian….i cant view a single photo on your blog..why??????????

J

(October 19, 2006 - 9:04 pm)

Man… that looks good!
    *droooool*
    *J’s tummy growls*

That’s it!
    No more work – I’m going home now to eat dinner….

Bradley M

(October 27, 2006 - 3:46 am)

As an interesting variation, you can replace the lasagna noodles with thin slices of aubergine which have had some of their water removed (do this by salting both sides of the slices, waiting 30 minutes, then squeezing the slices like sponges).