Ma, find me a wife who can cook like you!

My #2 son has been sick for a few days with sore-throat and runny nose, you know…. the whole flu package. He is 14 yrs od and a very picky eater. Allergic to prawns and most seafoods like crabs and other shellfish. Doesn’t take spicy foods and insist to have several Western meals a week. He knows his cheeses like how Emmentaler, blue cheese, matured cheddar, parmesan, mozarella, brie, camembert etc etc taste and how they differ. Much more than me because to me cheese is either hard or soft.

So, I gave him some left-over chicken soup from yesterday dinner with bits of shredded chicken and pasta for his lunch. He was slurping them with much gusto. Then, he paused and said, “Ma, make sure you find me a wife who can cook like these next time.”

LOL, I told him don’t dream because nowadays, none of the girls want to go into the kitchen, what more learn cooking. The best bet is for him to find an Italian wife because he likes Italian food so much.

I am pretty low on food supplies and make do with some pasta again today. I bought some beef tendon and stew it for like 5 hours in the slow-cooker with carrots, onions and tomato base pasta sauce. I added a pinch of fennel and that’s all. The tendon came out so lovely and soft.

I boiled some cauliflowers and it goes so well with the spaghetti. Scrap some parmesan on it, sprinkle with a bit of black pepper and bits of sage and it looks and tastes yummy.

So, what do you think? Will there left any more girls who can cook in future? Almost every family has maids and people eat take-out food. Do you think my son will find a wife who can cooks, say in another 15-20 years time?

17 thoughts on “Ma, find me a wife who can cook like you!

Celestine

(November 10, 2006 - 1:33 am)

Don’t worry girls – I cook. 😉

p/s: Lilian, so sweet of your boy to say these words. 🙂 Reading these words gave me a warm tingly feeling.

molly

(November 10, 2006 - 1:40 am)

Wah! another lovely pasta dish. Yeah. girls nowadays mostly do not know how to cook because parents want them to do well in their studies. I also wish my two sons could get a wife who can cook for them…he.he.. To be on the safe side learn how to cook! or marry a chef!!(just joking)Don`t worry. 15yrs is stll a long time! Your son might be a good cook himself to cook for his wife!!

Irene

(November 10, 2006 - 2:59 am)

i cook – sometimes. especially since i’m living independently away from my family due to studying in a uni not in my hometown – eating out can be a major turn off after just a few weeks.

some of your recipes are so easy! i might want to try them out (especially the salmon recipe), and maybe impress the boyfriend.

i do agree that most girls don’t cook anymore. neither of my (female) housemates can fry an egg to save their lives. but i find that a lot of my male counterparts are more than compensating for it.

men who cook… mmmmmmm…

laksashiok

(November 10, 2006 - 8:10 am)

Yeah Molly that’s very true. In the future, you don’t have to worry about a wife who can cook, but train up a husband who can cook instead.

Ho Jiak

(November 10, 2006 - 8:42 am)

Chicken will make caugh more serious. Nowaday girl do not like to cook coz mostly guy can cook and better than girl. Most Chef is guy! but if can find a lovely girl that also can go to Kitchen is better, coz Chef also will sick !

Essie

(November 10, 2006 - 10:59 am)

Haha – modern wives have no chance to cook because their moms or in mother-in-laws are too happy to have the whole family home for dinner/meals everyday! 2nd reason – it’s a blessing to have a wife who doesn’t cook ; minus one big problem (competition between mummy dearest & darling wife).

y@n

(November 10, 2006 - 11:02 am)

surprisingly there are a lot of youngsters whom enjoy cooking now days~ not to worry, i believe your son will definately find a wife that can cook as good as his mom >.^

if you read chinese, have a look at these forum, they are part of my food bible:- http://chinese2.cari.com.my/myforum/forumdisplay.php?fid=204

Shooi

(November 10, 2006 - 12:46 pm)

can la. When i was young, i never help out in the kitchen too.
    But now that i am married, i can also whipped up a chinese dinner for 10 pax at my house. Hubby thinks i am a better cook than his mom too (sometimes 🙂

(November 10, 2006 - 12:48 pm)

y@n – I hope with more celebrities chefs show on TV, they will see cooking in a whole new light.

Essie – You got a point there too. LOL, I pity my future daughters in law.

Ho Jiak- Yalor, all famous chefs are guys. But in the home kitchen, still women rules leh.

laksashiok- I hope my children takes after me.

Irene – Yeah, do the salmon thingie, I bet you are going to bowl him over!

molly- That’s what I told him, learn it.

Celestine – My kids and I have very open conver. They can say anything and I don’t keep barriers with them.

Sooi Sooi

(November 10, 2006 - 1:57 pm)

i’ll make sure my daughter(s) know how to cook! maybe one of ur sons wud be lucky enough to meet any of them in the future? kakakah!

f1re80

(November 11, 2006 - 11:38 am)

I think parents mummy or daddy, (not maids) should make it a point to cook at least once a day, (or once a week ;P), together with their children (boys or girls).

Make it an activity, Its like science also whot, getting ingredients, measuring, mixing, processing…

Getting to know ingredients, nutrition and making burgers yourself is not that difficult whot!! Show them what difference home-made and processed foods can make… whot, whot!

I thinks Jamie Oliver (but who else?) sums it up nicely! read up in his books or read his website lar!

I have recently noticed that the double pronouciation of “Little-little” does not come from the word “Sikit-sikit” as Jamie Oliver says it too. Or have the Malaysian Immigrant brought it there? Pukka!

Dolphin Gal

(November 11, 2006 - 12:43 pm)

Can’t deny that most of the gals don’t like/ don’t know how to cook. Around 60% of my gal frens dunno cooking at all. But, still got exception, still got gals love and enjoy cooking, just like me. :p

I start to cook when i was 14. Till now, 26yrs old and still enjoy cooking & eating. :p Still remembered that my uni life, 7 gals under 1 roof, plus some uni frens, always gather at our rented house for dinner. My record, 5 dishes + 1 soup + 1 dessert for 15++ ppl. It’s really tiring, but i enjoy it bcoz of the HIGH SATISFACTION.

I am also very lucky to get a bf who love and enjoy cooking. He’s just a beginner, but VERY DARE to try, always come out some unexpecatable foods, such as Campbelle Mushroom Soup + Canned Smoked Clams, taste…YUCK!!! -_-“” But, no harm to do some experiments, just males are really creative when they r in the kitchen. I respect his innovation + creativity. Somemore he said he want to cook after a marriege, and i don’t need cook, just incharge of the cleaning jobs. Well, i told him NO WAY!!! As i hate cleaning jobs too.

T.c

(November 12, 2006 - 4:19 am)

Arlo. A new reader here and I have got to say your recipes are very interesting.

As I am currently pursuing my degree in UK and far away from mommy’s cooking, I have to cook for myself for every single meal. It is quite a fun activitiy because studying all the time can be so boring.

I do agree that most of the girls nowadays cannot really cook because I have experienced some weird food creation from the girls in my university. However, there are rooms for improvement for them.

Hmm, I am still placing some hope to find a future wife who can cook. Good luck to your soon too! Hehe :).

May

(November 12, 2006 - 12:31 pm)

Why not train your sons to cook like you do. Then I will introduce my daughter to them when they are older. You need not pity your future dils but would be thinking how lucky they are. 🙂

(November 12, 2006 - 6:14 pm)

Hi all, thanks for the interesting comments. Hehehe, been busy so sorry didn’t responded earlier.

Jian

(November 22, 2006 - 11:20 pm)

Hahaha I luv Italian food too (Japanese as well, but they cost a bomb so kenot eat so often)! And hey, I am one of those girls who can cook too…maybe more to the western side lar…

So lucky to be able to find a guy who can cook, er I mean willing to try and cook….Me want a bf who can or likes to cook & eat as well!!! Cooking is fun, definitely…

Jamie Oliver is my Idol~ :3 *kowtow2X*

S-Kay

(November 25, 2006 - 10:48 am)

I CAN COOK! And I dun believe in hiring maids. Die die next time also I won’t wanna have maid.