Garlic bread DIY

Garlic bread is one of those things that we love to munch on so much that it   spoils our appetite for the main meal.  It is that good and scrumptious. So, what I like to do is to  make lots of them at home so that we can eat our fill without worrying if we can finish the steak, like say, when we are in restaurants.

Long ago, I have this notion that it is very chic to carry a long french loaf and gnaw on it as we walk along busy boulevards in Paris.  This is due to watching too many movies.  So, I thought that french loaf in France must be really delicious.  Well, when I was in Paris, I found that it tastes just as bland.And it is awfully hard.  In the end, those extra pieces we had ended up as pigeons feed.

Ok, the DIY steps.  Get yourself a french loaf.  Slice diagonally into thin slices.

Garlic butter

If you do not mind getting your hands smelly, grate garlic with a grater.  Avoid chopping because the bits of garlic will be too huge.  Depending on who is eating, you can either sweat the garlic, i.e. put into the pan with a little butter to make it limp but not brown.  Or you can use it raw.  Mix the garlic with butter and a bit of salt.

Spread on the slices of french loaf.  Bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 200 deg. celcius or until slightly brown and crispy.

I actually use pre-made garlic butter, bought from the supermarket.  It has some herbs in it.  My children do not like it so I made some with just butter.

There is nothing more comfortable and yummy like garlic bread dunk into tomato soup.  For tomato soup, I only like Heinz.  It doesn’t need to be mixed with water.  Just out of the can, heat and ready to serve.

16 thoughts on “Garlic bread DIY

Gwen

(November 17, 2006 - 2:29 am)

Two words: Food processor. ^_^b Love garlic bread!

ashan

(November 17, 2006 - 9:00 am)

mmm, yum. Speaking of bread, have you read about the no-knead bread featured recently on the nyt? Rave reviews everywhere!

Wonder if it’ll work in tropical M’sia though…

Sheryl Lee

(November 17, 2006 - 9:26 am)

Another good way to eat garlic bread – balsamic vineger mixed with olive oil. Makes a wonderful dip 😉

Agnes Tan

(November 17, 2006 - 10:53 am)

Ashan: Great bread weblink. I’m going to try tomorrow ;-). Le Creuset cast iron pot is SUPER expensive but IKEA is selling the same pot for much less. When the bread is successful than I can have loads of garlic bread (and breath) supply.

(November 17, 2006 - 3:25 pm)

Sheryl – I ate that at Italian restaurants in KL but over here, in Penang, not many serves that. Probably I must try mixing my own next time.

Agnes – Where is this Le Creuset sold in Msia? I am so curious to find out what is so magical about it?

ashan – If I have a chance, I will try that too. Tks!

babe_kl

(November 17, 2006 - 5:11 pm)

ultimate comfort food – soup and hard roll esp now as my office here is freezing

like sheryl, i like to dip bread esp those crusty ones in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. a whole lot healthier than butter!

so far Le Creuset can be found in Isetan KLCC, super duper expensive! these are cast iron stuff that can retain heat very well hence the popular dutch oven is very suitable for stewing. i’m gonna own at least one, some day hahaha… dunno why hubby also gila over them, maybe its super duper heavy and it makes them feel manly handling them haha

(November 17, 2006 - 5:23 pm)

babe – Now I know where to look. I check out Amazon and was so happy to see the prices until it hit me ‘We only ship to the US’. Duh. Thot of getting one for myself after all the hard work I put into blogging (from ads income).

(November 17, 2006 - 5:29 pm)

babe – I saw one Dutch oven for USD214. Not to say really expensive lar ‘cos my WMF also cost RM999. But I really like their grill pan, USD89. LOL, I am hooked on online shopping. These are going to be family heirlooms, serving up meals for generations so can invest also. 😛

Gertrude

(November 17, 2006 - 8:47 pm)

Lilian, i have a whole set of Le Creuset bought by my hubby during his bachelors day many many years ago. I don’t think we can afford to buy one now 🙂 I used it very often. It is very good for stewing and you can just put the whole pot into the oven. It is a good idea to invest in one and you won’t regret it.

ashan

(November 18, 2006 - 12:49 am)

I think a good, plain bread goes better with olive oil and balsamic vinegar than garlic bread does. Admittedly I’ve never tried the garlic bread combination, but I imagine the garlic would distract from the wonderful combination of olive oil and balsamic vinegar tastes. (Use a nice, rustic bread for dipping)

f1re80

(November 18, 2006 - 12:58 am)

Lilian, you are human after all- hah! … HEINZ/ from the can… lolol

molly

(November 18, 2006 - 2:01 am)

To get a crispy garlic bread on the outside and soft on the inside I covered it loosely with foil and bake 210 deg. Cel. for 10min. Removed foil and bake another 5min. I like to dunk my garlic bread in a hot bowl of mushroom soup or beef stew.

Agnes Tan

(November 18, 2006 - 3:59 pm)

Le Creuset produces cast iron pots (that make your arm grow muscles) like my mom’s cast iron wok. Isetan KLCC have a few pieces and SUPER expensive (according to my pocket size). Click on http://www.lecreusetexport.com/cooking-lesson1.php to find out how to take care of them (which could be a chore if not used to). The alternative I found is from IKEA cost less than RM180 (which would have cost me around RM500 for Le Creuset). I am toying with few ideas – wait for Pantry Magic http://www.pantry-magic.com/ to open in Malaysia. Anyone interested to get the franchise for Malaysia?

Agnes Tan

(November 18, 2006 - 4:11 pm)

Oops sorry babe_kl already mentioned where to get Le Creuset in KL. Staub is also enamel cast ironware brand(duh.. expensive ler too). My latest craze is anodized pots (like Supor-affordable brand & Calphalon-USA) after watching and tasted sponge cake cooked in a deep pan under gas fire at CK Tangs Singapore.

boo_licious

(November 20, 2006 - 10:14 am)

Why don’t you go for the cast iron pots that Ikea has brought in? They’re abt RM200 plus and look like Le Creuset. There’s even a fondue set if you fancy making it at home for a party.

Mei

(November 21, 2006 - 9:55 pm)

Don’t know what bread you ate, but when I was in Paris, the breads were excellent and wayyyy better than the ones here.

French breads are supposed to be crusty (AND hard) on the outside but spongy and soft (not to mention springy) on the inside. 🙂