Patin dressed as dory? Ewwss..Read this and pass it on!

I was checking out a blog who links to me and found some very interesting expose about ikan patin from Vietnam ‘dressed’ as Dory, the marine fish.  Thanks to Birds Talking, I now know why the dory fish feels so freakish slippery when I thawed and wash it.

According to this blog, the cheap dory we are getting from the supermarket is actually a kind of patin fish which comes from Vietnam.  It is a fresh water fish.  If you remember correctly, there was a big scandal involving our local fish rearers where they found the patin fishes are fed chicken innards and ewwwss…faeces!

Of course, the real ikan patin from the river of Pahang (correct?) is really, really good and expensive.  I had tasted it in Temerloh and Mentakab.  But the reared ikan patin can have very strong ‘earthy’ smell.

Surf over to Birds Talking blog and find out the kind of things people do to cheat us consumers.  I hope our hypermarkets will not poison us with sub-standard foods in their quest to make money.  And as usual, we can’t rely on our authorities too much to take care of our health.

Thanks, Donald!  For the link and also for enlightnening us about this.  Bookmark Donald’s blog for more useful information.

12 thoughts on “Patin dressed as dory? Ewwss..Read this and pass it on!

[…] Patin dressed as dory? Ewwss..Read this and pass it on! Trackback Related Posts No RelatedPosts […]

Donald G.H Tan

(November 17, 2006 - 11:48 pm)

Hi Lilian,
    You are welcome and thanks for reading the post and informing others. Glad you like the subject.
    Regards,
    Donald

f1re80

(November 18, 2006 - 12:53 am)

In 1998, FYI I visited a fish farm on the Left side of the Bridge going into the royal town of Pekan. Got lots of Patin cages. I was invited by one of the farmers to help feed the patin with….. CHICKEN INNARDS..haha never eat caged/ reared fish any more if I can help it (Sea or Fresh). Go to Jakarta and see small houses (Jbaman) over fish ponds very near the airport.

f1re80

(November 18, 2006 - 12:53 am)

ewwwwwsss.

Sooi Sooi

(November 18, 2006 - 1:17 am)

i never knew those were not real dory but my mom had told me b4 not to buy the much cheaper frozen dory from vietnam…wanna buy oso buy the more xpensive ones from australia.

it’s terrible innit, we’re sked to eat chicken coz of the hormone, sked to eat beef coz of mad cow, sked to eat pig coz of reasons A-Z, sked to eat fish coz of mercury content (and oso reared fish coz of wat fire80 sed), and sked to eat vege/fruits coz of pesticides…. god knows the extent of abuse our body is taking, even tho they’re home cooked!

Alex

(November 18, 2006 - 1:21 am)

never tasted dory tho.. but i loveee the patin from mukah/kapit. fresh from sea… superbly awesomely …good 🙂

i’m still stickin to mackarel/salmon at the moment

tonixe

(November 18, 2006 - 11:28 am)

de patin fish ( real one ) has a classic smooth N oilish ( but not oily ! ) texture, and the steamed Karak version is tops !

molly

(November 18, 2006 - 6:56 pm)

Eeek! Never knew that the so called dory is not actually dory! No wonder it has that aweful muddy taste like that of a freshwater fish. And the fish also shrink by half its actual weight after thawing. Wonder why there is no police report on these cheating instead of on other minor issues that is irrelevant.

citygal

(November 19, 2006 - 11:04 am)

argghhh..feel cheated..wonders what the vietnamese fed the patin fackers?

Jian

(November 19, 2006 - 12:51 pm)

Eh eh…..I visited a shop in Pulau Tikus and the shop sells Japanese products…’OK Shop’ if not mistaken…they have Aust/Nz (cant remember) dory and its only RM13 perkg…wonder izzit real since u say its so expensive….But it does taste better and has better texture than the ones bought from supermarkets….

earl-ku

(November 19, 2006 - 4:16 pm)

eh i remembered there is also patn from the sea wan rite? once i had a patin which cost me like 35 ringgit for the fish, the texture of the fish is very smooth and tender wan … but then there is also the patin from our river, last tim euse to fish for them wan, but those the smell of the mud very keng la, always give neighbour who cooks them into an awesome curry …

bout the shit and chicken innards feeding, my late grandfathers fish pond in pahang, we used to have this extended jamban into the pond wan, yes a jamban in the pond, we just shit there and from the top watch the fish come fighting for your shit …

and we had chicken and ducks too … when we slaugther the them all, we throw the innards back into the pond, even the fish ones …

boo_licious

(November 20, 2006 - 10:12 am)

This is not a new thing as I have mentioned it in my blog before hence if you notice some supermkts don’t call it Dory anymore, it’s been renamed as Sutchi fish. They rear the fish in cages on the Mekong River.

I can’t remember the chinese name for the fish they feed the chicken intestines and shit to but it’s the same one they use in the steamed fish heads in Sg Besi and most stalls hence they may be cheap and nice, but once u know their origin, you will shudder with fear.