Miso soup is so easy to do

Thanks to the feedbacks from the comments, I bought the miso dashi from the supermarket. It comes in small little packets, enough for one serving per pack. There are about 6 small packets of the soya bean paste which can make six bowls of soup.

PICT9993

So, I made myself a pot of miso soup within minutes. Luckily, the soup doesn’t give me a crazy thirst as I believe it must be loaded with MSG.

I just add enough water to a packet, until it is no longer too salty. Boil it with lots of enoki mushrooms, baling mushroom  and some laver (seaweed) which is imported from Korea. The Korean seaweed is much cheaper than the Japanese one. I ran out of tofu or it would have been nice to slurp that too.

PICT9992

Real miso doesn’t use mushrooms, I think. But I love enoki mushrooms so it makes a nice, filling soup, minus the oil. The miso dashi I bought is from Japan but I notice some of the brands are very expensive, like RM20+ and some are cheaper. The one I got was just RM6.50 and the taste wasn’t bad at all.

10 thoughts on “Miso soup is so easy to do

Sooi Sooi

(December 5, 2006 - 3:40 pm)

errrr…i tot dashi stock and miso soup/paste are 2 different things? u got it from jusco kah?

had u seen the print ad for ajinomoto where it said smthg like “u can make dashi stock from ajinomoto” (the msg). i was yahhhhhhhhh, right!!!

(December 5, 2006 - 4:17 pm)

sooi2 – I oso dunno what is what wor. I see those brownish paste so I hentam sajalah. It is not written in English, only Japanese words. But the taste nice jugak wor.

boo_licious

(December 5, 2006 - 4:41 pm)

I think you used miso bean paste to make the soup. These packets were from the fridge section of Jusco?

Dashi is usually found in the dry section of Jusco and when you open it, it’s in dry form. Usually they come in long thin packets similar to sugar packets.

Look for the English translations behind the packets – it’s stuck on a white sticker at the back. You can get different kinds of miso paste – yellow, red and different flavours also. My fav is the ones with clams on the pictures and in small packets.

sue

(December 5, 2006 - 8:16 pm)

the brownish paste is miso. And for miso soup, the typical ones are of course the seaweed and tofu one. But here, normally you can just put things that you like. So, enoki is of course not a problem at all! 🙂 The ones that I like is with potato and onion.
    Oh, and ya, the miso paste shouldn’t be boiled for too long. So, the Japanese usually put it in at the end. Just thought you might want to know. 🙂

rafidah ahmad

(December 6, 2006 - 9:53 am)

hi there…

love ur website…..look at it almost daily….

since i am a muslim, is the dashi or the miso stuff halal for me to cook?

i love japanese food so think i would like to give it a try and cook myself

Bradley M

(December 6, 2006 - 2:26 pm)

It’s perfectly acceptable to use mushrooms in dashi — my recipe is bonito, wakame seaweed, and dried shiitakes. I reconstitute the wakame and shiitake in cold water, then heat to boiling, turn off the heat, add fish, let sit for 20 minutes, filter with a sieve and paper towels, then heat to boiling one last time. Dee-lish.

As for the claim (quoted in comment #1) that you could make dashi from just MSG… EWWWW! (I think that commercially prepared msg is giving me panic problems, too, which is why I make my own chicken broth instead of using canned whenever possible)

Jian

(December 6, 2006 - 3:49 pm)

hohoho speaking of dry section in Jusco, I was surprise that they had bonito flakes on the shelves. Hehe natural ingredients for natural dashi. I went to Jusco yesterday and walked continously for 4 hours but still me and my friend miss some spots. Anyway, the moment I stepped into the mall, I feel like I am in KL at that moment. Hahaha, pardon on my exageration. Really nice to see all these restaurants in Penang but the question is will they last? Or else we would end up having the longest and the emptiest mall in Msia : P

Sheryl Lee

(December 7, 2006 - 9:24 am)

I saw the commercial for Ajinomoto on TV last night and seems that Sooi Sooi is right. Oh ya, Lillian, the commercial showed the prepared soup being poured into a dish full of, yeah, you guessed it, enoki mushrooms and other vegetables 🙂 so you’re right. You can use enoki mushrooms for miso soup.

Sooi Sooi

(December 7, 2006 - 11:51 am)

sheryl, when i first saw the newspaper ad i thought the brand ajinomoto is coming out with a new product for dashi stock. check check check, turned out that they’re actually promoting the good ol’ 100% pure MSG to make dashi!! ridiculous! they think consumers are so stupid meh??

Samm

(December 9, 2006 - 11:03 pm)

Gawd…think i shud go faint now? Yes, No? TRANSFAT in its ultimate glory!!! YEEHAW. Yes, it’s true what Lilian says. I sapot!!! Wanna eat out, go sin kaukau. Then come back, relax and detox!!! Keyword, DETOX!!!! Gotta do a section on DETOX in detail liao, ROTFLMAO!!! Go read over at my new site ahhh. And HUGS for linking me!!!