Economy meehoon

It is the poor man’s food as the name indicates. Economy because there is nothing in the plate of noodles except for a few strands of beansprouts. Long time ago, it costed only 50-80 sen per plate/packet. However, it costs at least RM1 now.

IMGP3146

The nicest one is from a little corner house, next to the Chung Ling Secondary School in Jalan Air Itam. They only operate in the morning and closed on Sunday. Business is brisk. What makes this place economy meehoon nicer than other places is the small batches they fry. Unlike other places, they fry small batches and hence, all the noddles are very hot and fresh.

Besides that, they give these really kick-ass green chillies pickled in vinegar.

IMGP3148

What makes the Chung Ling ‘keng cheh mee hoon’ extra yummy is the gravy or ‘lor’ that comes with it. They will pour a generous amount of this thick, sticky, soya sauce flavoured gravy to make the noodles even smoother.

However, note that the beehoon is usually fried with lard and lots of oil. Certainly not something ideal for breakfast every morning. If you haven’t try it, do check it out soon. Lots of people normally order two plates at one sitting. If I go with my hubby, we normally order three plates to share. They have some ‘chai kueh’ as well.

This stall used to be manned by the husband of the woman frying the beehoon now. However, several years ago, during one Chinese New Year, he died suddenly due to over tired. We heard he gambled day and night without sleeping and somehow, got a brain bleed or something. Good thing that the wife can fry the beehoon as well as him.

10 thoughts on “Economy meehoon

IB

(January 4, 2007 - 8:50 pm)

um isn’t that more mee and not meehoon / beehoon?

Meehoon is the thinner white rice vermicilli noodles innit

Mike K

(January 4, 2007 - 9:52 pm)

Hey, do not underestimate a pack of mee hoon. As simple as it may look .. it requires skill for one to be able to fry a nice plate of mee hoon .. cheers 🙂

Erina Law

(January 4, 2007 - 10:03 pm)

Lilian, that is the cheap economy fried beehoon. Give it a try on the most expensive fried beehoon but served with fried fish and prawn. They will give you some sort like sambal (actually more like a dip for the fish n prawn). It is located at New Lane. This coffeeshop is the same with Sunway Hotel. They are close on Tuesday. Open at 8.20am but go early otherwise the gravy sure habis. Best time is about 9am. Must ask for the fish and gravy. I and Lawrence normally ended up with RM20 with only 2 plates of economy fried beehoon and fried fish. Kopi lagi belum kira!!!! Go and try and tell me how you feel. Btw, you fruitcake ok boh?

Catatouille

(January 4, 2007 - 11:43 pm)

i guess a good plate of kick-ass fried beehoon is like a good plate of char koay teow. involves some bit of kung fu and secret ingredients!

Elaine

(January 5, 2007 - 2:51 am)

How is that beehoon when it looks like mee?

(January 5, 2007 - 2:30 pm)

Elaine – Economy beehoon is the brand name. They do have koay teow, yellow noodles and some every sell lou shee fun.

Catatouille – Yeah, very few people sell them nowadays. There are only a handful good ones.

Erina – Really ah? Must try it soon. But that is if I can wake up that early!

Mike K – Yeah, secret kungfu.

IB – I don’t mean that literally. Just like curry mee, we have meehoon inside too. Over here, we call it economy meehoon, even the signs all said so.

Athene

(January 5, 2007 - 7:43 pm)

gee… did you know that the “malay-pasar-malam” version is sometimes known as “mee-dedah”. Masa kecik2 dulu, I used to think that’s because the seller dresses sexily, rupa2nya sebab it usually put in a big talam & it’s not covered, hence ‘terdedah’!!

“mee dedah” tend to be addictive, I still get craving sfor it sometimes, especially on pasar malam nites, like tonite!!! but they don’t make it like they used to 🙁

ho_jiak

(January 5, 2007 - 7:46 pm)

no doubt the fried meehoon over there tasted very nice…but 1 think i dislike is….they made the road jam with people stopping to buy a pack or two especially during school hours 🙂

Erina Law

(January 6, 2007 - 11:23 am)

Lilian, must try. This is something different one leh. Lawrence get addicted to it liau. Another good place that we found out for Hainanese food is at Batu Feringghi. Opposite Bayview Beach. It is called Happy Garden. Inchi Kabin is good. They are hainanese. Environment is so so but food is good. Remind me of the ‘beh leh’ chicken chop when I were still very young. Miss my grandma food too – she is also a hainanese. Btw, are you a coffee lover? Got some coffeebeans from my grandauntie, fried by the hainanese. Wanna share with me? If yes, I will keep some for you. The 2 of us really enjoy the coffee. Kaya, lagi moh tek teng. Very very smooth…………. mmmmmmmm

earl-ku

(January 19, 2007 - 11:43 pm)

i still remember this “king jai mai fan” stall near my house in Shah Alam during my school days … each packets cost only 50 cents … sometimes lunch, mom will ask me go tapau like 4 – 5 packets, and some “momo jar jar” or hung tau sui” also at 50 cents …. damn cheap … now?

expect to pay RM2 for a pack of economy beehun and RM2 for a bowl of “tong sui” which is so bloody dry, maybe thats why they gave you the sauce …