Fries and fried chicken

IMGP3724

It is almost impossible to deny the children from eating fried stuffs and especially french fries. But I feel less guilty if I am the one doing the cooking instead of them frequenting fast food restaurants and their greasy foods. Moreover, preparing them myself means I am assured that the oil used for frying is cleaner than those dark, cancer-causing ones used by some restaurants.

You can find the recipe of my tumeric chicken (ayam goreng kunyit) over here and also download a free recipe for several chicken recipes on pdf format here.

IMGP3727

Make some french fries and there you have it, a plate of fried chicken and fries, at the fraction of the cost of fast food restaurant.

My favourite brand of french fries is the Simplot brand. I like their tagline – Keeping it hot longer. (or something like that). My kids mixed their own mayonnaise to go with the chicken and fries. Just add some icing sugar to the mayo and it is less sour. No need to load the fries with salt too.

6 thoughts on “Fries and fried chicken

terence

(January 14, 2007 - 8:06 pm)

Chicken and chips??… mmmmmm….

TehSee

(January 14, 2007 - 10:30 pm)

I usually bake the chicken then bath it with hot oil…The purpose is to minimise taken in the oil with this method. This is how I do it at http://tehsee.blogspot.com/2006/12/five-spices-chicken.html

Jian

(January 15, 2007 - 1:02 am)

oh not bad. But I am just wondering if we can do the chinese style of pouring hot oil on the chicken (forgot the term liao). This way they absorb less oil and chicken will still be tender….yum….eh will the out come look like those siew kai at chicken rice stalls?

Bradley M

(January 15, 2007 - 4:37 am)

What the other commenters are describing sounds a little similar to confit (pronounced “kon-FEE” — it’s a French term). Confit is poaching a meat in a lot of oil over low heat, and can also preserve the meat for a good while without freezing.

Recipe for chicken confit here. (Don’t forget temperature conversion. 200 degrees F is 94 degrees C)

And don’t fear the fat. Natural fats are good for you.

flower

(January 15, 2007 - 9:26 am)

I seldom make roast or fried chicken here. Its so easy to buy out. One of it is from Charcoal chicken, really delish. That’s my hubby’s fav. His style of eating chicken, sandwich it between sourdough bread with chips, chicken and a bit of sweet mustard pickles. Yummy……

Fries Lover

(January 16, 2007 - 5:36 pm)

I just love fries. But to cut down oil & heat from consuming too much of them, I tend to cook them in turbo boiler (without any extra oil added) rather than frying them in oilsssss.

The end result? You’ll get equal crispiness and taste 😉 minus the fat.