Do West Malaysians need passport to enter East Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu)?

We are planning a trip to Kota Kinabalu during Chinese New Year. Flights still available but for hotel, someone is helping me to find them. Since we can’t confirm the accomodation, we dare not book the tickets yet. Hope by the time, we get the confirmation, we can still grab the seats. We need six seats. I heard Air Asia is doing some promo tonight midnight, so let’s hang on and see.

But I have one urgent question – Do we need to produce our international passports to enter Kota Kinabalu? Some of my children’s passports have expired so I have to make sure we get it done.

Anyone? Anyone?

Post Author: Lilian

Food, travel, recipes. Chinese Malaysian, blogger, photographer and writer.

19 thoughts on “Do West Malaysians need passport to enter East Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu)?


    (January 30, 2007 - 9:32 pm)

    No, you don’t need, Just need IC. For your kids i am not too sure as they don’t have IC, Maybe could double confirm from MAS.


    (January 30, 2007 - 9:34 pm)

    No, you don’t need passport, Just IC will do.

    Jon C

    (January 30, 2007 - 9:50 pm)

    Why should you? It is still a flight within a country no?

    I remember the good ol times (5 years ago) when I flew to Dublin, Eire from London. No passport required.


    (January 30, 2007 - 10:27 pm)

    No need passport, just IC. For kids – you need to ask the airlines…


    (January 30, 2007 - 10:34 pm)

    No need international passport. For children remember to bring birth certificate.


    (January 30, 2007 - 10:34 pm)

    No need but it would be faster as you don’t have to fill up a long form and be checked by the staff. But I hadn’t been to East MY for a yr or so…


    (January 30, 2007 - 11:09 pm)

    Previously (i guessed like 7-8 yrs back), you need passport to enter Sabah. Yes, it’s still within our country, but until now, I still can’t understand the logic why the West Malaysians need to have to passport to enter Sabah.

    I never had to produce any passport when i went to Sabah like 10 yrs ago. Simple – i was travelling with the Army group (I went to Mt Kinabalu with the RMC), and Army has this “Khas” lane for them 😛


    (January 31, 2007 - 12:28 am)

    Erm, if you are a west Malaysian, you would need to bring your passport in order to enter Kota Kinabalu. I know because I always go to KotaKinabalu and I am also a west malaysian. Its really annoying but its a must. =)
    hope this help.
    Enjoy KK. Its a nice place.


    (January 31, 2007 - 12:55 am)

    No you dont need passports, IC for you and birthcerts for your kids will do! Enjoy your trip! : )


    (January 31, 2007 - 8:47 am)

    Nowadays you don’t need your passport to enter KK. Just your IC and Birth Certs for your kids. I hope you and your family will enjoy KK and Welcome to Sabah, Lilian!


    (January 31, 2007 - 8:50 am)

    passport for KK? i know if u enter sarawak, onli need IC.


    (January 31, 2007 - 9:04 am)

    hi, Lilian, great to know u guys will spend the CNY in sabah. we’ll be going back to sabah as well. my hubby is from kudat and i’m from west malaysia. u just need to bring ur IC and for ur kids, birth certs or MyKard will do.

    Cindy Chin

    (January 31, 2007 - 10:06 am)

    No you dont need to … Just IC.
    Conditions apply when you’re there to work … cuz, I’ve checked with the Immigration Dept before.

    Cynthia J.

    (January 31, 2007 - 10:43 am)

    Hi Lilian,

    With the new IC (my card), passport is not longer required but to be on the safe side, you may want to check with the immigration first.

    Good luck!

    Cynthia J.

    (January 31, 2007 - 10:59 am)

    Hi again, I heard from some that passport is still needed; so in order to get the certain answer, you definitely want to check with the immigration.


    (January 31, 2007 - 1:05 pm)

    airasia having promotion tonite? I never success to enter the website when it on promotion ler..


    (January 31, 2007 - 4:08 pm)

    Passports no longer needed. Even to Sarawak. Just bring ICs for adults and birth certs for kids.

    Many years back, you require a passport (international or restricted passport). The latter is specially for either Sabah or Sarawak. I know ‘cos I stayed in both states before. In recent years, only ics and birth certificates are required. You are required to fill in a small form (if you don’t have MyKad) upon arrival and sign on it. Keep your copy of the form because you need to surrender it when you leave the State.

    Hope you don’t get too much headache from the comments.


    (January 31, 2007 - 5:08 pm)

    LOL, thanks for all the feedbacks. So, in conclusion, I don’t need to go and renew the kids’ passports cos there are four of them X RM300 and it is more expensive than the airtickets.

    Anyway, still waiting for the accomodation to confirm before I dare pay to Air Asia. Let’s see how it goes. Thanks again!


    (February 5, 2007 - 2:53 pm)

    auntie i love ur postings. i went sabah last year very fun la auntie.dont forget to taste “buah susu “juice
    hihihi yummy and very cheap nice .fruits very cheap in sabah dont buy banana fritters more than 3 ringgits

Comments are closed.