French Onion Soup

On my last post about TGIF, a few readers gave me some great recommendations. So, we went back together with all our kids this time. I have so many yummy looking photos and will post them individually ‘cos they deserve a slot of their own.

IMGP4506-1

The above is their French Onion Soup. I haven’t had this soup for a long time because most of what I had tasted were horrible. They are like fried onions boiled in water. Therefore, when one of Best Recipe reader, flower, told me about it, I decided to give it another chance.

Oh boy, am I impressed with TGIF’s French Onion soup. It is a hearty soup with croutons and covered in a thick layer of melted mozzarella cheese.

IMGP4509

I passed the layer of mozzarella cheese to my son and slurpped all the soup and croutons. It is really yummy. Try it!

BTW, I had been eating American foods lately and had the chance to compare TGIF with Cili’s. Will write that next time.

7 thoughts on “French Onion Soup

Sheryl

(February 22, 2007 - 9:23 am)

Lillian, so far you are the only one I know who says TGIF is good. The rest of my friends say the place sucks and the prices you pay for the food is just not worth it.

Sheryl

(February 22, 2007 - 1:37 pm)

Lillian, you are the only one I know who seem to be gushing about TGIF. The rest of my friends think the place sucks and the price you pay for your food is just not worth it.

flower

(February 22, 2007 - 2:49 pm)

You tasted it. Thank you… Me so happy someone is listening to me.

Bradley M

(February 22, 2007 - 2:58 pm)

French onion soup is best made with beef broth as the liquid ingredient instead of plain water. The problem is that most commercial beef broths are terrible (and those that aren’t get most of their flavoring power from MSG instead of actual beef flavor). In fact, America’s Test Kitchen (a respected publisher of cookbooks and other media) uses mostly chicken stock for their recipe.

But all is not lost. Just make your own beef stock from bones and butcher scraps, whatever you can get for cheap. Bottom round cuts are very flavorful and not expensive. And don’t wimp out on the bread, either; use a toasted baguette (or equivalent) slice instead of croutons. It will be fantastic.

soleilina

(February 22, 2007 - 10:14 pm)

went to TGI just now.. ick! this soup is a tad too salty for me!!

Jian

(February 23, 2007 - 12:52 pm)

oh havent tried it bbut i luv their JD lamb chop! The best I ever had….yummielicious….practically me and my friends licked the plate clean….heheheh…alcoholic beverages not that great tho….tak cukup omph….hahaha

Gwen

(February 25, 2007 - 1:06 pm)

Ughhh Tex-Mex food … not an everyday occurence even in my American household.