Vanilla pod adventure

I bought one vanilla pod from Cooking Island sometime back but never got into the mood to bake and had been hiding it in my fridge. I don’t want my hubby to see it ‘cos I know he would faint to see tiny bean like that costs almost RM20.

Today, I decided to try out some pre-mix from Cooking Island call Surabaya Cake. I decided to use one Philadelphia cream cheese to make it a cheesecake. Therefore, the vanilla pod seems like a good addition.

I took out the very airtight wrapped vanilla pod….

Saw that it is black…

I was expecting green pea pod

Took a knife and slit it….

Remember that’s what Jamie Oliver said in his books

And OMGawd! I thought the vanilla pod has disintegrated!

IMGP4922

LOL, I didn’t know vanilla seeds are these tiny, million of seeds thingie. I thought they are large peas and need to be crushed. Though I had eaten Beard Papa’s fresh vanilla cream puff and seen those tiny black vanilla, I didn’t know that this is the actual sizes of the seeds.

It has to be the most jakun moment. I phoned Erina of Cooking Island about the flour and cooking method and asked her if vanilla is supposed to be like this. Hahaha…so much I didn’t know about cooking.

Anyway, my vanilla cheesecake is still in the oven. Let’s see how it turns out because I have switched and change ingredients and this will be the experimenting stage. It better be good ‘cos it is not cheap!

8 thoughts on “Vanilla pod adventure

Gwen

(February 25, 2007 - 1:04 pm)

Don’t forget to put the pods that you don’t use into a sugar bowl (or an airtight container with sugar) and you can use the fragrant vanilla sugar to top cookies, cupcakes, add some flavor to your coffee, just about anything.

cHrIstInA_YY

(February 26, 2007 - 10:30 pm)

Hihi ^^ hehe… juz happen 2 stop by & thank u 4 da big “ang pao” **huggiez**

f1re80

(February 27, 2007 - 11:19 am)

Tell us about the results of your cheese cake….

moo_t

(February 28, 2007 - 8:54 pm)

Wah… RM20. Can buy a small bottle of natural vanilla flavour liao.

Hehehee, talk about expensive seed. Once upon a time, I spent ~RM30 to buy some habanero chili seeds, 2 packets, each packet ~ 10 seeds.

mousey

(March 2, 2007 - 4:16 pm)

Hi Lilian , I am a big fan of yours. Would appreciate it if you could share with us your recipe and results on this cheese cake. I LOVE cheesecake!!

simmie

(March 3, 2007 - 3:02 am)

I’m sure it turned out good. The vanilla pod makes a HUGE difference in flavour!! Trust me.

I did a post on how to make vanilla extract awhile ago. You should try it!

simmie

(March 3, 2007 - 3:04 am)

oh nuts! Link didn’t work. Just click on my name to get to my food blog.

Nigel

(March 11, 2007 - 9:09 pm)

Hi Lilian

Cel (that nice Catholic boy) sent me to your page. 😉

Vanilla pods…go to Bali, Ubud market, you can get vanilla pods there for about 70 sen each. You read that right.

Heck, even if you pay RM1, it’s less than that. And the ones you get are fresher and pastier. It comes out almost like sticky tar but it smells divine.

To store them, put them in an airtight bottle and refrigerate. They’ll keep for at leat 6months if not more. Do not wrap them too tightly as they need to develop in flavour.