OMG, I just committed myself to fry tomyam beehoon for the thousands! LOL!

And I can’t believe what my big mouth just did!

You see, our Cathedral of the Holy Spirit, Penang is building a new church in Sungai Ara, Penang and we need to raise funds, in RM millions to build it. So, ongoing funds raising were going on in all sorts of manners by all walks of people. It is a nice community feel and something that I enjoy being part of.

So, yesterday, our choir group was discussing how we can contribute towards a family carnival in July. Food stall was the suggestion. Someone suggested an Italian stall but ingredients will be too expensive. So, I said, why not make local foods like tomyam beehoon? One other guy said he can cook green curry and then, we decided on a Thai food stall. Yeah, right…..out of the majority, almost everyone said they cannot cook, except my big mouth.

Anyway, our Cathedral patron saint is a Thai and what better way than to create a Thai environment during the family carnival, right? You can read about Blessed Nicholas Bunkerd Kitbamrung and his struggles. I never give much thought to the church history and etc until the day I was assigned to type the piece on the page and I was very touched with what Blessed Nicholas had done for the Catholic faith. It touched me so much that I am going to look up to Blessed Nic as my guiding light. That is to stand for truth, no matter what the challenges are.

Anyway, I thought – Hey, how hard is it to cook two woks of fried beehoon right? Ingredients are cheap, taste is great and it goes well with everyone. But, but, but….they told me it is not two woks! It is 9am – 4pm. Non-stop selling because the crowd is not a few but the whole parish (which covers a major part of Penang) which is by the thousands. LOL.

Of course, I am not doing it alone because all the other ladies are going to help me and I have roped in some muscled guys to help stir the beehoon. But since I put my hands up, now I have to make the costing, ingredients quantities and will be there to flavour the cooking. Hahaha…see what I got myself into for putting my hands up?

I just sms-ed to my choir leader because she said she is going to submit the proposal to the church for inclusion into the bulletin. I told her..”Go ahead. Blessed Nicholas is our patron saint and he is a Thai. So, he will watch over our group.” *prays hard*

Let’s say I no longer blog, I can become a hawker with that experience, eh?

6 thoughts on “OMG, I just committed myself to fry tomyam beehoon for the thousands! LOL!

moo_t

(March 19, 2007 - 6:33 pm)

🙂 Can put in pork lard as secret weapon in your beehon.

Hahahaha, think of the muscle guy expression when they are giving a long bamboo stick to stir fried the beehoon.

moo_t

(March 19, 2007 - 6:34 pm)

oppps.. should be long bamboo chopsticks 🙂

Erina Law

(March 19, 2007 - 6:59 pm)

Lilian, you can mix your beehoon well with the tomyam sauce and fry it. Easier and it will make it more even. The vegetables and other stuf can fry together. Then, you mix the 2 together and fry for awhile

QuaVadis

(March 20, 2007 - 9:49 am)

Do you have to fry on demand or can you fry a huge kuali full of it?

If fry on demand..then all the best ah….but if you can do a whole kuali full of it, at least you wouldn’t be slaving over the kuali the whole day..

babe_kl

(March 20, 2007 - 9:50 am)

Bless you Lilian and hope you’ll have a great cook out!

Bradley M

(March 20, 2007 - 1:54 pm)

I guess this is why there is often a subculture of food that grows up around carnivals and church fairs. A thread that seems to show up through all of these particular foods is that, with few exceptions, they don’t need additional cooking when served. This includes all the types of sausages (Italian, Polish, and German varieties, which all can be stewed with other ingredients before serving), the Greek gyro (a phenomenal take-with-you food), and various side dishes including noodle and potato dishes. French fries are probably a good starting point for doing a carnival food because they require preparation (cutting) and need to be served not long after they are cooked (or else they’re disgusting). Now I’m no expert in stir-fried noodles, but I see that as being quite similar to your situation (though you have to actually combine ingredients instead of just salting potatoes). Probably what you want to do is prepare your noodles by doing the soak, then reserve them. Precook all your vegetable elements, and mix your seasoning/sauce into just a single element. Then you can quick-fry all of your elements to order (noodles, other bits, and sauce), or you can make them 5-10 at a time and place them in a warming pan (we use electric roasting pans here but use what you can) or under a heat lamp until you sell them. In the second case you may have to throw out any finished dish that sits for more than 20-30 minutes, but if your volume is sufficient that won’t be a problem.

Wish you the best of luck with this, and I’d like to see a recipe for the dish because I am unfamiliar with what goes into it.