Is Chinese foods really all that bad?

PICT7201

I am going to post the shots of this Japanese mushrooms which is a little larger than the enoki but much more nicer and crunchier. However, the topic is about Chinese foods.

I subscribe to the Google news on health and noted that all those news are usually skewed to attract attention. Rarely are there news on health which does not reek with some hidden motives. Most times, they are probably sponsored by some parties and hence, a lot of things are purposely drummed up to create huge uproar.

Today, I see many, in fact, hundreds of news about how bad Chinese foods are. One of them even linked it to firefighters dying. I mean, come on….how can they lump every single thing into one Chinese food? (the reason I see they use firefighters are because they were the heroes during 9-11 and hence, people have a soft spot whenever you mentioned it)

PICT7200

We know for sure that many Americans are grossly obese. Just take a look at the current American Idol Season 6 and you will note that more than 50% of the contestants are obese. As obese as almost being handicapped by their weights. (many of them had been ousted in the early rounds)

The reason was their eating habits. Not long back, the restaurants in New York banned transfat in their cooking. They are doing all they can. Now, they are pin pointing it to Chinese foods.

Well, if you ask me, it is not Chinese foods but rather people’s laziness. They no longer cook. They rely on take-out foods, fast foods, frozen foods and all those processed stuffs.

PICT7195

So, take a look at this string of news and see how they blame Chinese foods when it is their own laziness that cause the health problems. I am a Chinese and must say we can cook very healthy foods like steaming, stir frying and clear soups. If you care for your health, your family’s health and your children and future generations, cook it yourself. Or at least try to balance some home cooked meals with eating out.

10 thoughts on “Is Chinese foods really all that bad?

Erina Law

(March 22, 2007 - 4:45 pm)

Yes!!! Finally, I found a kaki who say don’t be lazy and cook for the family. Everytime when I tell people, they will say aiyah……..no time lar, lazy lar, don’t know lar and more excuses. People ah………….. haiiiiii
    Not all chinese food are bad, I fully agree with you. Shortening and margarine are consider trans-fat. If you say pau got put shortening then, mah don’t put lor. Use butter also can one. Maybe a little yellowish only. Steaming and boiling still ok mah. Steaming, we don’t use oil mah. If say like that, those ah moh who eat tonnes and tonnes of meat leh???? Betul tak, cikgu? Hahaha……….

Cindy Chin

(March 22, 2007 - 8:05 pm)

Nowadays I finds lots of women reluctant to cook for family. I agreed with Erina.. dont be lazy to cook for your family. And, those are your loved ones, and how can they give all sorts of excuses for not cooking, right?

Parisian Malay

(March 23, 2007 - 8:43 am)

I agree that the problem isn’t ‘chinese food’ though I must admit, people usually associate ‘chinese food’ to oily, fried food with lots of coloring which they get in their food courts and restaurants abroad. These people are ignorant and lack of education as far as I’m concerned but who can blame them if that is all they know and are familiar with, right ? It’s being ‘ang moh’ mahhh!!! Hehehehe, there are lots of ways to cook chinese food in a healthy way such as, steaming, grilling, stewing, stir frying, boiling, braising, and roasting even!!!!

Rayjaun

(March 23, 2007 - 3:34 pm)

Chinese food can be so yummy. I think basically, different Chinese dishes can be really oily but certainly not all of them. I mean, well,…China’s huge and it’s made up of various provinces. Each of them giving a completely different style of cooking hence chinese food varies. That is one good reason why Chinese cuisine is so delectable!

Lina F.

(March 25, 2007 - 4:47 am)

Hi, I came across your post on Chinese food–basically your disagreement with the latest article on Chinese food in the US. Well, I don’t think the group who did the study, blamed the case of obesity in the US on Chinese food entirely. Italian and Mexican foods were also mentioned, even worse.

I don’t know if you’ve ever had Chinese food in the US before (in my case, New York), it is always greasy, saucy and full of fried, fattening ingredients. I’m of Chinese descent myself but am not a big fan of Chinese food take-outs here. Mostly for the reason that their American version of Chinese food (although cooked by Chinese people here) is not even close to the one we’re used to, back in Asia. But the reason why people here have it so often because of the price (very cheap), convenience (available everywhere, easy and fast delivered as well), tasty (the MSG, perhaps?). It’s like any fast food restaurant. Remember the case of McDonald’s being sued by some numbers of overweight people? Well… in this case, it’s not so extreme but, at least people are being warned of the contents in Chinese food here. I never knew it had so much salt before I read the article.

So, bottom line, one shouldn’t take the article so offensively, it was a study. It definitely doesn’t apply to ALL the Chinese food, generally speaking. Btw, I disagree with your use of words in this line “many Americans are grossly obese”–c’mon.. Having said that, I also wanted to let you know I enjoyed reading your posts and looking at photos on your Web site, great job! Pardon the complexity of my comment.

Azmi

(March 26, 2007 - 1:53 am)

I have to agree that Chinese Food cannot be blamed. We didn’t eat duck everyday like kings. The person who commented on that would be a shallow person who didn’t live their lives daily eating the proper and many varieties of chinese food. Or rather opening one eye and closing the other while writing the article.

Angie

(March 30, 2007 - 2:08 pm)

That’s because Westerners often have Western-style Asian food. They don’t know what real Chinese food is – I mean, if you look at what Westerners normally order at Chinese restaurants, they have Fried Rice, Sweet and Sour Pork, and so on.

But really, lifestyle habits are to blame. More input, less output – this is the real reason why people are becoming larger and more obese in America.

I have a blog post about what Anthony Bourdain said about Chinese food being thought of in the West as being greasy, unhealthy food. But then he stumbled upon yong tau foo (stuffed bean curd / stuffed tofu). You can read more at http://wanderinggourmet.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/food-tv-shows-round-up-asia/

pixen

(March 31, 2007 - 5:15 am)

Firstly, my hubby told me that If I want to see obesity, go to USA! Why? It’s all about fast food, frozen pre-cooked and being potato couch… sigh. No, thanks to McD or KFC! If you look at Asian people wherever they are in EU or US, most of them are skinny or average weight.

I’d tasted before Chinese food in EU… actually the restaurants’ cooking are to suit the locals’ taste buds not Chinese! So, most of the time the food’s tasted different. Also, with the salt shaker or soya sauce readily on their tables, customers tend to add in more salt because it’s kinda of their habit or ritual to do so…

So, if these people want to taste real healthy Chinese cooking, it’s better for them to eat homecook meal by cook by themselves or invited to an Asian home…:-P

Lisa

(April 2, 2007 - 5:21 am)

The first time I had chinese food in the netherlands, where I now live, I told the singaporean waitress *you can die from this food*. She laughed and agreed! She said they don’t eat what they serve in the restaurants here.
    Here the Chinese food is very sweet and starchy. Most of the things they serve you won’t get anywhere in Asia.
    There is a *wok* restaurant concept here, where you choose your own ingredients and it is cooked before your eyes. The raw ingredients are in a buffet but even then they manage to screw it up.
    It is not just Chinese food – the Malaysian, thai and Indian_ are all starchy and sweet.
    Dusseldorf, Paris and London are great with their Asian restos but you have to be in the know to eat well.

Gwen

(April 10, 2007 - 2:13 am)

You forgot to list portion control as one of the main issues with American obesity. Everything in America is huge, the food size, the cars, and naturally, the people. Chinese food is very popular not only because people are lazy to cook, but simply don’t have the time to. It’s very culturally different here, I don’t have to tell you that, and people spend most of the time working 2 jobs (for those of lower economic status) or the richer people spending more time attending social events. I do however agree that it’s their own fault and not to point fingers at any particular culture’s food for committing this atrocity.

Tyroid disfunction is also a main factor in many obese Americans, it seems to be genetic in Caucasian people (as far as I was told) so not every fat person you see in America is obese because they overeat.

I cook very often with frozen food because it’s cheaper and lasts longer, just for your info 😀 and the flash freeze technology here works very well. For losing weight also I eat those pre-boxed processed foods because it’s all portion controlled, flash frozen and still healthy and delicious. When my family came to visit from Malaysia they were raving about how cool and convenient those things are that cost a bomb in Msia to buy! So in my opinion, your post is a little bit overgeneralized lah 😀