Theme Tuesday : Colourful

Once again, I missed Tuesday. This week, let me feature those colourful sweet stuffs that make dessert pretty and nice.

attapchee

The attap chee which is like the British gem biscuits but made locally and topped with coloured sugar. BTW, does anyone of you remember the Gems little biscuits from Britain?

PICT0008

Cute little munchkins from Dunkin Donuts. Damn, we don’t have Dunkin Donuts right here. Someone send me some, please.

pengat

Pengat – available once a year on 15th day of Chinese New Year. This, I repeat, is not the same as bubur cha cha. Only Penang people make pengat like this, I think.

Gummy sweets,  Sweet!

Gummy sweets – made locally.

IMGP3360

This horrijible colourful kuehs from Melaka. So weird lah, the colour.

DSC_0074

Heh, this is how kueh colours should look like. This batch is what my neighbour gives to my housekeeper, every week. They have these edges and odd pieces of the kuehs which did not make it to the market. Still edible but not regular, just like Reject Shop stuffs. BTW, I have been to several states in Malaysia and notice that their kuehs colours are often not as pretty and soothing as those we found in Penang. Usually, the other states tend to colour theirs too gaudy. Don’t flame me but do watch out and tell me if you notice that as well?

11 thoughts on “Theme Tuesday : Colourful

Leah

(June 7, 2007 - 11:21 pm)

The first picture, we called that “roti fa” in Hakka, which mean “Roti with flower”, when we were young we ate that on the 1st and 15th of lunar calendar, after my grandma prayed to the Chinese deity.

eve

(June 8, 2007 - 7:11 am)

y orang penang always like to compare and then praise that the locally found food is always the best within malaysia ah? I met a lot of orang penang always said the same thing espcially talking about balik pulau durian, the nyonya kueh etc…although i admit that food in penang is really yummy but i dont quite agree on the durian and kueh lor or is it becuase i’m lousy on distinguishing good taste leh?

pablopabla

(June 8, 2007 - 10:47 am)

The first pic was my childhood favourite. Now, almost extinct liao 😛

Valen

(June 8, 2007 - 11:44 am)

Yeah, I like the biscuits in the first pic when I was much, much younger, but I never knew that it’s called atap chee or roti fa. The way I eat -biscuit first, followed by the colourful sweet toppings. Save the best for last mah…

Clare

(June 8, 2007 - 12:09 pm)

first pic also my childhood favourite. Gummy sweets also. But the colourful kueh from Melaka is seriously horrijible coloured lah! Lost appetite immediately. But some kuehs in Penang also brightly couloured, which I don’t like. Well, at least Penang kueh is better than other places in West Msia…I’ve practically lived in Penang for 2 months accumulated, tasted almost all the food that I am supposed to…

Jian

(June 8, 2007 - 12:27 pm)

Oh the 1st pic is not “tou chi peng” (canto)?

Oh, aunty lilian…I think I saw sumthing I think it is (red bean kuih)…can I know where is ur neighbour selling kuih? I wanna checkout….thx ya!

Prometeuz

(June 8, 2007 - 1:11 pm)

Answer to ur last Q is No. Like aunti, I used to have nyonya neighbour who made kuih for sale and they looked exactly like your pics. Oh, I am not fr Penang. Thanks for ur trip down memory lane. 🙂

jane

(June 8, 2007 - 2:55 pm)

penangites..some of ya’l are so full of urselves. get a grip la.. there are lovely things in other states as well. do not condone others, n praising penang as though it is heaven on earth. seriously.

DT

(June 8, 2007 - 11:57 pm)

the recipe is after many years of refinement..
    the ingredients available vary from one place to another..
    the technique of cooking/baking has stood the test of time..
    and there is still ample food stalls/outlets/place in penang that are not commercially driven i.e. handmade not 100% machine made

hence it’s simple, just like penang kuih’s.. penang prawn mee is still the best..

i think it is justified to say that penang kuihs (esp. nyonya ones) are much tastier than others in the penisular when u have tried penang kuihs, compared it with those from other states and realised the difference.. and i know of non-penang people who gladly agreee.. even in KL, the nicer kuihs are made by penangnites who have moved down..

loving the postings lilian.. keep it up =)

Nicole

(June 9, 2007 - 4:17 pm)

Nyonya kuih originated from Melaka, there’s no other place that serve better nyonya kuih than where nyonya city. I have to defend my state.. 🙂

But I have to agree with your disliking that kuih though I have never seen such hideous color kuih in Melaka. Not from places where they cheat people with fake kuih and fake cendol anyway.

pixen

(June 15, 2007 - 1:27 am)

wooohooo… down to memory lane again..attap chees-Most of the time I only ate the biscuits part 😀 I think I just can’t stand the sweetness of the icing BUT I like to choose them as kid bcos of it’s really colorful, easy to play masak-masak with and easily popped into your mouth. Another type of biscuit I like is Marie’s … love it with Horlicks or Milo.