Ritz Pastry, Fettes Park, Penang

I wonder why I haven’t heard of this cakeshop before? I guess I must go out more often and explore. Anyway, Ritz is a cakeshop located along the rows of new shophouses near No Eye Deer/7-Eleven in Fettes Park. The shop is rather low profile with no flashing neon lights or gaudy fake cakes.

DSCN2407
(opera cake)

They have a nice range of cakes with fancy names. So far, I have been there only twice and never really try all of them. However, from what I get so far, I must say that their cakes are pretty good compared to the cheaper cakeshops and even better than Secret Recipe. They don’t have those sickening whipped cream that normally most cake shops love to use. Have you notice that some cake shops use more whipped cream than their cake and the percentage is like 60% oily, fattening cream and 40% air and sponge? My opinion is – If I am going to get fat on cakes, I might as well get fat on good cakes that cost me more. 😛

DSCN2411
(choux pastry)

The choux pastry which my four years old love. He popped and finished two before I even notice. The cream inside the choux pastry is made fresh.

DSCN2406

I have forgotten the name of the above cake but it has some Spanish sounding name. The top has a layer of burnt caramel and the cake is filled with nuts and cream.

Overall, the prices of the cakes from Ritz is more expensive than your regular cake shops but slightly cheaper than those coffee and cakes joint.

14 thoughts on “Ritz Pastry, Fettes Park, Penang

ai wei

(July 25, 2007 - 10:44 pm)

reading your blog in this late night is not a good idea. Cz i am making myself hungry~ aw… the opera cake looks yummy and delicious. *saliva dripping*

sooi sooi

(July 26, 2007 - 12:42 pm)

gosh, if only i can pick up the cakes straight from my computer screen! *chomp chomp chomp*

is the spanish sounding cake called madeira smthg smthg?

(July 26, 2007 - 2:57 pm)

sooi2 – I think it is San Marcos or something like that.

ai wei – Hehehe, it is always a bad idea to look at food photos when we are hungry. I sometimes feel tortured when I am blogging on an empty stomach.

Spunky

(July 26, 2007 - 6:19 pm)

You should try out their green tea cake too!

Erina Law

(July 26, 2007 - 7:24 pm)

I like their cream puff too

pixen

(July 27, 2007 - 4:17 am)

My sister loves to put the choux puffs into freezer… she said tastes like ice cream… 🙂 Oh they used real cream not the ‘shaving foam ‘ type… LOL. Compared to other bakeries… Ritz may sounded expensive but for the quality I rather have Ritz Pastries anytime. I think we can only compare btwn Ritz and Bakerzin 😛 When they first operated the shop, they used to have my favourite dacquoise… 🙁 Also, I like their cheese cake range… try the soft & light cheese cake 🙂 if they still making it (move over Sunflower!.) They reduced few types of cake due to shorthanded and I missed their coffee counter too.

NLeena

(July 29, 2007 - 2:10 pm)

hi Lilian,i need to ask u an important questions.can u pls tel me EXACTLY where is Dunkin Donuts in Langkawi? I’m going to langkawi this weekend and i am Desperate to sink my teeth in sum gud DDonuts again(i’m frm penang which lacks,of all things,DDonuts!).. pls reply to my e-mail. very much appreciated!

(July 29, 2007 - 3:09 pm)

NLeena – It is at the Jetty where boats arrive. They have a big complex there with all the Starbucks and stuffs. Hope you locate it.

NLeena

(July 30, 2007 - 5:39 pm)

thx a lot Lilian,really appreciate it.

NLeena

(August 8, 2007 - 6:12 pm)

hi Lilian,i cudnt find Dunkin Donuts in Langkawi.my fren went to Jetty Point Complex n cudnt find DD!totally devastated i cudnt get the donuts.wel,better luck nxt time.

[…] I have been wanting to blog about this lovely bakery, and just as I was thinking about it sometime back, 5Xmom beat me to it! […]

[…] surprise Lingzie brought for the birthday girl, Carrie from Cariso. It was a green tea cake from Ritz bakery in Prima Tanjung (opposite Island […]

[…] taste of it is certainly worth the price. It’s without doubt much nicer than Secret Recipe!! (MalaysiaBest post & Lingzie’s […]