Curry puff – Malaysia best tea time snacks

Curry puff is one of those things that immediately comes to your mind if someone ask you to name some Malaysian foods. There is nothing more appetizing than hot curry puffs with hot coffee or tea for teatime snacks.

Last weekend, hubby bought these karipap which I believe is only available in Penang. It is the famous pap panas panas karipap. Not exactly the best but because it has been around for so long, it becomes part of our Penangites comfort foods. There is more crispy skin than fillings. And there is no meat except for curried potatoes inside.

karipap

This karipap is made of huge crispy flour skin and flatten as there aren’t much fillings. What’s special is they give you lots of onions and chillies pickled with vinegar. It is a cross of a murtabak and curry puff.

DSCN5325

I remember when I was in Sabah, they have these roti canai goreng. It is roti canai, wrapped with some potatoes and deep fried. I bought a piece but it was awfully oily. But now, when I look at the photos from Sabah, I wish I can go there again soon because they have so many foods not found over here.

7 thoughts on “Curry puff – Malaysia best tea time snacks

terence

(February 26, 2008 - 6:00 pm)

I LOVE curry puffs.

Tesawe

(February 27, 2008 - 12:11 am)

I enjoyed reading and looking at the food in your food blog. I was looking through your Sabah photos and there was a picture of slipper feet done like a digital painting. Would you be able to let me know what program you have used to create that painting effect. It is such a great effect.

Cokeworld Citizen

(February 27, 2008 - 1:38 am)

wahhh u featured my favourite karipap!!!! Its so long ady since my last helping!! I like to have it with loads of stinky (for mom) pickled onions. LURVE IT!

Wan M

(February 27, 2008 - 10:55 am)

I remember those days (nights) watching Penang played football at the Bandaraya stadium, Datuk Keramat, when during half-time, this old mamak would make his rounds selling that same karipap, shouting “Karipap pap pap pap”. Crispy on the outside, hot and piping potatoes inside, and that zing provided by the chillies and pickled onions. MMMmmmm MMMmmm, yummy! Sure brings back memories. Now, can’t have that same experience at the Batu Kawan stadium.

wmw

(February 28, 2008 - 12:24 am)

Wow! I gotta have this next time I make a trip there, it looks absolutely yummy!

nora

(February 28, 2008 - 8:54 am)

There’s 1 couple selling at the Gelugor Post Office area but that was during the fasting month. Not sure if they are there everyday but unfortunately they can’t beat the mamak at the stadium. Not even with the pickled onions 🙁

muteaudio

(February 28, 2008 - 2:07 pm)

Hmmm….will try to get it when I go back next week for the election. Agree with Wan M, the oldman always at the Bandaraya Stadium.