Bread and butter

Ahh…to a lot of people, this is possibly the most boring foods. A lot of people may have bread and butter for their breakfast everyday. When I was small, it had become a routine. So much so that bread had turned into cardboard like taste. It was just something to fill the stomach.

orange marmalade and butter

That’s why I hardly have bread and butter nowadays. So, when I have them, it becomes a treat. I like bread and butter with sugar sprinkled on them. The nicest is to have the bread toasted and then, dunked into half boiled eggs.

Otherwise, give me a loaf of fresh bread and I lurrvveee to slap on thick slices of hard, cold butter and a dab of orange marmalade.

The above is my dessert. I have two slices of bread AFTER I have my dinner.

marmite spread on bread

The other thing I like with my bread and butter is marmite. The marmite gives the bread the savoury taste and hence, can be eaten as a meal instead. And if you do not know what to do with Marmite other than spreading on bread, how about making marmite chicken?

And if you do not know what to do with a big bottle of orange marmalade, just put some into your sweet and sour sauce. Raspberry, strawberry and orange jam all made good sweet and sour sauce for your fried chicken and fish. Just stir fry some onions and garlic, mix tomato ketchup, some jam, a dash of vinegar with some water and cornflour and cook.

8 thoughts on “Bread and butter

Matt

(July 29, 2008 - 11:21 pm)

CK Lam @what2see

(July 30, 2008 - 12:05 am)

A spoon of Marmite in a bowl of white congee makes a delicious meal for me.

in

(July 30, 2008 - 10:18 am)

Remember Sunshine bread, in a wax paper wrapping thing? The best thing about the bread was a ‘card’ that was included in every pack. It was always Planta with sugar sprinkled on top for my daily breakfast as butter was a luxury then.

Erina Law

(July 30, 2008 - 11:34 am)

I still love bread very much even I eat them for breakfast everyday when I were young. I can crave for bread too. Sometimes, I love going into a bakery to smell the bread. Sound gila hor? Nowadyas, I love to have 2 slice of bread with raspbery jam and butter after dinner.

(July 30, 2008 - 2:27 pm)

erina – LOL, maybe it is a Hainanese thing to love bread as after dinner hor?

in – Ya ya ya, then, there is the little plastic toy with a string? The bread costed 25 cents per loaf back then.

ck – I cannot get used to eating Marmite or Bovril that way, somehow.

r1zlan

(July 30, 2008 - 4:49 pm)

Buttered Baguettes with Chicken Soup..

Cecilia

(July 30, 2008 - 9:37 pm)

MMmmm … glorious carbs! I LOVE bread – esp when the ones that just came out of the oven *drool*

Have you tried Vegemite (similar to marmite) with cheese?!! – you just pop them into the toaster oven until the cheese melts …. oh man!!! They are SO awesome!!

Yune

(August 7, 2008 - 10:55 am)

Hey Lillian, tried your suggestion to use the strawberry jam for sweet & sour sauce, and it turn out well. Kinda has a glaze to it 🙂 Made it to be a drizzle for my celery/corn/sausage fritters.

On another note, I’m probably not the first one to say that you are a ‘rocker mum’ sans all the apparent looks of a rocker:)

Cheers! N keep em coming!