Recipe : Roasted Japanese eggplant (aubergine) with garlic and cheese

I found this cute, stout, fat and purple Japanese eggplant so adorable. So, I bought one but wasn’t sure what to do with it as it is so huge. Normally, local Malaysian eggplant is much smaller. This Japanese eggplant is like three times the size of local Malaysian eggplants. LOL (hmmm…why did I find that so funny?) With local eggplants, I would cook curry or fry it with chillies and dark soya sauce. But with a large eggplant like this, it is enough to make a meal on its own.

japanese_eggplant.jpg

I cut off the top and slice off part of the purple skin.

I remember watching one of the celebrity chef cookshow and he taught the audience to rub salt on sliced eggplants to remove some of its juices. So, I rubbed the eggplant with sea salt and leave it to stand for 15 minutes. After that, I wash off the salt in running water.

DSCN1505.JPG

Normally, the chefs like Jamie Oliver would pop the eggplants into a hot oven to roast them. However, I used a non-stick pan and pan fry them till brown.

DSCN1508.JPG

Meantime, I chopped a whole bulb of garlic. When the eggplant slices are brown, just remove them. In the same pan, add some butter or olive oil and fry the garlic till fragrant. Then, add the eggplant slices.

eggplant.jpg

I removed the eggplants and sprinkle parmesan cheese on them and serve. It tastes good…..

Try it. Simple and delicious.

9 thoughts on “Recipe : Roasted Japanese eggplant (aubergine) with garlic and cheese

The Drunken Blogger

(September 18, 2008 - 1:14 am)

My sister eats eggplant all the time. I don’t like it but am willing to try it roasted. Maybe the sweetness of the vegetable will come through. I like roasted everything else.

PenangTuaPui

(September 18, 2008 - 7:54 am)

My mum used to cook eggplant when I was young, but it doesn’t suit among our sisters and brother, but it is my mum favourite dish. That’s the reason she seldom cook eggplant and can’t have her own loving eggplant dish.

But now, I start to love them, and I will order eggplant for sure whenever dine outside, for mum and for myself.

Your way of preparing the eggplant is new to me, I may try to do it for my mum…. thanks.

BTW, I heard you are going to join us on the gathering, it is great to have you to join us. Thanks.

Huat Koay

sf

(September 18, 2008 - 8:49 am)

what i normally do is fry the garlic and add some light soy sauce and maybe 1 cut chilli padi. then throw in the pan fried eggplant again

FamilyFirst

(September 18, 2008 - 11:39 am)

This is quite an original creation. Never ate eggplants this way – will give it a try soon. We would usually stirfry them with sambal hay bee 🙂

SK

(September 18, 2008 - 12:29 pm)

Interesting recipe!

Since the eggplant so big hor.. wonder if it’ll be interesting to cut it (like a boat), korek the ‘meat’ out and cook them with minced chicken etc. (with teochu sauce & minced chilies) Stuff it back and roast it with some cheese on top.

Chinese style with western touch 😛

Momo

(September 18, 2008 - 1:54 pm)

I love the big big Japanese eggplants.Looks like plastic only .. so purple and shiny.

I once sliced it thinly lengthwise and pan fried it and then use it in my lasagna dish instead of the usual lasagna sheets.I think it’s a bit like moussaka lah.Lots of cheese makes this dish really yummy! I have also baked lasagna using sar hor fun sheets.

I did not like eggplants when I was younger, but grew to love it later.Same for bitter gourd.

Nicholas

(September 19, 2008 - 12:32 am)

Woah, eggplant is KEOW?

jaden

(September 20, 2008 - 8:34 am)

I love eggplant, especially Italian style and Japanese style

dolphing

(September 21, 2008 - 12:31 pm)

I did bake eggplant with seasame oil and salt fish, and it taste delicious as well. I would like to your recommended method since cheese and garlic are my favourite ingredients ^^