Alert! So is Munchy biscuits tainted with melamine too?

I picked up the post from Shadowfox who got the news from International Herald Tribune that Munchy’s biscuits are found to be tainted with high level of melamine.

The news in full from IHT.

HONG KONG: Hong Kong’s food safety watchdog said Saturday it has found unsafe levels of the industrial chemical melamine in crackers made by a Malaysian company.

The Center for Food Safety said it found the chemical in two samples of crackers manufactured by Malaysia’s Munchy Food Industries Sdn. Bhd. It did not say where the products were made.

Milk powder contaminated with melamine has been blamed for the deaths of four infants and for sickening about 54,000 others in mainland China. Hong Kong has also found 10 children with kidney stones who had consumed Chinese-made milk products.

A sample of Munchy’s Mini Crackers with Peanut Butter was found to contain 5.4 parts per million of melamine, while Munchy’s Mini Crackers with Cheese Cream had 3.8 ppm, the food safety watchdog said in a statement. The territory has set the safe limit at 2.5 ppm.

Calls to Munchy Food’s office in Malaysia went unanswered Saturday. A notice on its Web site says its products are safe for consumption because the ingredients come from France or Australia.

“We do not source any of these ingredients from China and our suppliers assure us that there is no danger of melamine adulteration in their products,” the notice says.

Chinese authorities have blamed dairy suppliers for contamination there, saying they added melamine to watered-down milk to dupe quality control tests and make the product appear rich in protein.

Melamine is used in the manufacturing of plastics, fertilizer, paint and adhesives. Health experts say ingesting a small amount poses no danger, but in larger doses, the chemical can cause kidney stones and lead to kidney failure. Infants are particularly vulnerable.

Just last night, I was out shopping for biscuits and saw Munchy’s products all over the shelves. Mothers are buying some for their little children. I never like Munchy’s and have hardly buy this brand. I got myself a packet of Hwa Tai cap ping pong cream crackers and another tiny square crackers from Hwa Tai too. I use the tiny squares crackers, spread cream cheese, put a grape and topped with smoked salmon. Yummmm….

Ok, I digress. Well, Shadowfox hinted that we may be misled with the safety level over here in Malaysia. Let me quote what he said:

Seems that there’s now a huge news about local Malaysian company biscuit factories other than Khong Guan, tainted with melamine. Munchy, the most famous company in Malaysia and overseas for its biscuits, is now involved in a scandal that could potentially drag the Kementerian Kesihatan and reputation of Malaysia down to the pits.

and further….

I wonder how many companies that actually passed the melamine contamination test in Malaysia is truly safe, or have they bribed their way out because of their connections to the government as cronies.

This shows that when their products are tested for melamine overseas, it failed the acceptable melamine contamination levels. In Malaysia they were probably passed acceptably by our health ministry. I really start questioning if corruption is involved in the testing of melamine in foods, especially in companies with crony links to politicians, or is our health standards so low compared to other developed countries?

If you’re worried and pissed off about being duped by this company, you can contact them using the information below:

MUNCHY FOOD INDUSTRIES SDN BHD

Lot 9366, Batu 7, Simpang 3, Togang Pecah, 83010 baru Pahat, Johor, Malaysia
+60-7-4153322
cktan@munchy.com.my
CK Tan

So, I hope there is no truth to Shadowfox’s suggestion. But…. frankly, I too do wonder if some of the bigger corporate companies are spared from stringent tests. Can’t blame us for being suspicious because so much abuse of power, greed, indignation to human health and corruption have gone around our country and the culprit and murderer country – China.

Please pass the news on IHT around to your friends and loved ones. We do not want them to consume industrial chemicals and die a slow death, do we?

8 thoughts on “Alert! So is Munchy biscuits tainted with melamine too?

Domino

(October 19, 2008 - 4:40 pm)

Ya, come to think of it, what is suggested by Shadowfox could have some truths in it. Remember the Puspakom case ? Scary, isn’t it ? Now who can we trust ? Who can we rely on for the truth ? Who can we turn to for help now ?

Criz Lai

(October 19, 2008 - 6:16 pm)

With these info, I had just informed my Dad to stop all the kids from taking those prepacked biscuits. Haiz.. meaning I have to get fresh ones for them from Hock Lok Siew at Noordin Street every few days.

allie

(October 19, 2008 - 9:17 pm)

I read about this too. Too bad as I am a fan of munchy biscuits… 🙁

PenangTuaPui

(October 19, 2008 - 9:39 pm)

now.. just dun know if Hwa Tai and pingpong will face the same issue…

today, I read about a case at China where the little girl having the same illness with the rest who consume high melamine milk form China… but she consume S-26 instead,,,

ya.. u heard me right.. S-26….. this drive me crazy as my son is having them now….. 🙁

Philip Ng KL

(October 20, 2008 - 12:07 pm)

Last Saturday my friend gave me a bag full of Munchy’s Mini Crackers with Chocolate Cream. Had ate a few package already taste great. This morning got a call from my friend that it is not safe to eat. Then I check the internet found this article. Not sure it is safe to eat the rest.

If the Munchy’s Mini Crackers with Peanut Butter was found to contain 5.4 parts per million of melamine, while Munchy’s Mini Crackers with Cheese Cream had 3.8 ppm
    What will Munchy’s Mini Crackers with Chocolate Cream reading be?

Visit Munchy website as well.
    “We do not source any of these ingredients from China and our suppliers assure us that there is no danger of melamine adulteration in their products”

Who is telling the truth?

Ah ya my son and daughter eat a few pieces last Saturday.. Any harm ah?

Thinking to discard the rest.

(October 20, 2008 - 2:15 pm)

Philip – I cannot totally believe the press release from Munchy that their milk is sourced from Australia and France because we know how expensive French and Aussie dairy products are. Just looking at the price of a box of President brand cream (from France), we also know how expensive they are.

PTP – But I thought S26 is from Holland? Try Japanese brand lor.

allie – Someone told me Julie biscuits affected too? I like Julie’s more.

Criz – Must go back to eat traditional biscuits but then, they come from Khong Guan pulak.

Domino – Yalor, we lost trust with the police, the judiciary, almost every authority so now, health authority also hard to convince us, hor?

pixen

(October 20, 2008 - 5:29 pm)

Gosh I read so much about this case online and news from friends in M’sia…:-( I think it’s time to bake our own biscuits and cookies. Also, becareful where the source of milk comes from. All this came from increased petrol price as I discovered when I shopped in Penang and also in Europe, certain products increased as well. In Europe when small farmers can’t sustain their productions, giant companies like Nestlé bought them over. My hubby called President as factory cheese…LOL. Though I have to pay hefty sums for quality cheeses, I don’t mind. At least in Europe, consumers knew their rights and they would protest if their traditional favourites jeopardized. Even if you want to cut a tree, build extra level on your house or dig a new cellar, you need permits and wait for several months for any protest from your neighbours. Political wise.. hah everywhere is the same! My neighbourhood Chinese supermarkets also now on check by the Health Dept… so, I’m careful as well. 🙁

russel

(October 26, 2008 - 6:28 pm)

malaysia truly corrupted