Sawi flower

The other day, an Indian cashier at Tesco asked me if the sawi flower is edible. I told her, yes…it is more expensive than regular sawi because it is much tender. She said she has never eaten them before.

That got me thinking…..our different races in Malaysia cook the same type of ingredients differently. Sometimes, we lean towards one vegetables more than the other. Malays and Indians normally stir fry their greens with tumeric and other spices while Chinese fry it another way.

sawi

Certain greens are just blanched with boiling water and then, served with some garlic or shallot oil and a bit of oyster sauce. Otherwise, we Chinese normally give a quick stir fry with garlic, a dash of pepper, fish sauce (my must use item), Chinese cooking rice wine.

stir fried sawi

For this bunch of sawi flowers, normally I cut off the harder stems and then, peel off the outer layer which is rather fibrous. So, now you know sawi flowers are edible and not only used in flowers bouquets, eh?

sawi flower

Nowadays, sawi has lost its appeal as more and more newer vegetables are introduced into our markets. Long time ago, there were only sawi and bayam. Gee….do you know the name of sawi in English?

13 thoughts on “Sawi flower

terence

(April 30, 2009 - 10:33 pm)

Sawi??? That Akademi Fantasia singer ar? Both also vegetable. LOL

Apurva

(April 30, 2009 - 10:57 pm)

Really appreciate the work done by

you…..If you are out for genuine

recepie tips ……Please Check out the

blog mentioned below its really

cooool !!!!!!! Also there is an amazing

Tea game…. Check it out, I’m Sure

you’ll love it.

(April 30, 2009 - 11:20 pm)

terence – Am I supposed to laugh? You missed out the car leh?

Praveen R.

(April 30, 2009 - 11:27 pm)

Mustard leaves 🙂

When I went to north India recently, I saw sawi plantations and its really beautiful cause you’d see acres and acres of yellow flowers. A great sight indeed.

Charlene

(May 2, 2009 - 11:31 am)

Oh I didn’t know that it’s called Mustard leaves 😀 Sawi is ‘chye sim’ in Hokkien, right? The grocery shops here in US label sawi as “Choy Sum”. Are there different types of sawi or it’s safe to say that “Sawi” = “Mustard Leaves” = “Chye Sim” = “Choy Sum”?

Erina Law

(May 2, 2009 - 1:07 pm)

Mustard. That is what I have been thought.

Veronica

(May 2, 2009 - 4:56 pm)

yup, choy sum = sawi = mustard leaves = chye sim hehehehhh

Agnes Tan

(May 4, 2009 - 10:06 am)

I am an old fashioned mom. I adore sawi stir fried with garlic, sliced pork meat, prawn and soya sauce. It reminds me when I was a kid, I would eat just this dish and rice. 🙂

moo_t

(May 4, 2009 - 4:16 pm)

Brassica juncea, also known as mustard greens, Indian mustard and leaf mustard

Cut and paste from

sue

(May 5, 2009 - 4:26 pm)

hi lilian, seems like hup loong flour not sold at Giant Hypermarket/Tesco/carefour. I search everywhere . Do u mind providing any info like their tel no or address cause when i check online , very difficult to find more info bout the company and when i called , the no seem like no more in used.Where can this flour be found in Penang? I think Hup loong more cater to oversees asian so i think klang valley don’t have their product, gosh i’ve search online but no result.
    cheers

SY

(May 10, 2009 - 5:08 pm)

Neutral vege like choy sum are plenty. have you wonder why?

Chinese call them choy sum – meaning vege for the heart 🙂
    saw in book, heal thyself, by cheng foo seng

Chin

(May 12, 2009 - 7:42 pm)

The photo looks like chye sim or choi sum.

Mustard green = Gai choi is different.

J2Kfm

(May 18, 2009 - 8:51 pm)

i’m another brat who detests sawi, but my grandma loves them sooooo much, she just had to cook them every other day.
    no joke.

but surprisingly, i like the choy sum fah, with the flowers, as i find them sweeter, softer, and soak the soy sauce really well.

is it Chinese mustard?