Pavlova

This is the first time I try pavlova. I didn’t know what it is when my son baked it. So, I did a bit of googling and found that it is supposed to be a New Zealand national dessert or something and the name comes from a Russian ballet dancer.

pavlova

Don’t ask me for the recipe because it is not easy to bake it. The first time my son tried, it failed. This is his second attempt.

pavlova

Initially, I thought it is just a crispy piece of egg white and sugar. However, the inside of the pavlova is filled with fluffy and soft egg white which has been slow-baked.

My son topped it with whipped cream and fresh fruits and canned Mandarin oranges.

DSC_0003

This dessert looks kind of fragile and dainty so it is not something that we can easily bake and keep. Ever tried pavlova?

6 thoughts on “Pavlova

steenbok68

(November 10, 2009 - 9:40 pm)

I always use Nigella Lawson’s Pavlova recipe. So easy and never failed …

simon

(November 11, 2009 - 9:21 am)

it would be nice to get the recipes across to me.
    what to try myself for few way to do it better.

mama23beas

(November 12, 2009 - 3:03 pm)

Alamak, what a co-incidence!…I just made one over the weekend and yesterday Shaidah (remember her, the journalist?) asked me to be ‘bidan terjun’ and do a demo cooking for a newspaper (only my hands and apparatus will be out, not my messy kitchen;)). She said anything looks good also can, so I wanted to improve my Pavlova. The meringue should be crispy outside but marshmellowy inside. First time, I didn’t get that and I forgot to get everything cold when I whipped the cream. Luckily yesterday’s one ok. But your son’s looks better la, I also just blog about it.

iris

(November 12, 2009 - 5:32 pm)

What a coincidence! I was just thinking of making pavlova this weekend. I’m surprised you said that it was difficult to bake. Its actually quite simple and easy. One tip to remember is that after baking, leave it in the oven to cool naturally. BTW, welcome back, good to hear from you again.

J2Kfm

(November 14, 2009 - 12:38 pm)

pavlova’s not that heavy compared to cakes.
    though i cant differentiate them and meringue.

Vivien

(November 14, 2009 - 4:15 pm)

i used nigella’s recipe with success too.